New iOS Update: Upload Profile Pictures!

Just wondering, why do people prefer Apple Maps to Google? I used Apple maps when it first came out and there where an embarrassingly high number of errors on places near me.

1 Like

You may be right, but I use it every day and every time I see it irks me. Iā€™d like to think Iā€™d get over it, but ugly is ugly. Letā€™s see.

As for Hugoā€™s ā€œreasoningā€, I donā€™t think you follow what I was proposing.

Do you mean something akin to this? I admit, Iā€™m sure the designers at Monzo could produce something a little better than my attempt :wink:

Regarding the new pulse graph, I like being able to see more information as I scroll back in my feed. But it is rather frustrating that sometimes you can see your current balance and sometimes you canā€™t (like above). Would rather be able to see this at all times :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing your feelings. Itā€™s really appreciated.

All I can do for now is to ask you to bear with us, it will all make a bit more of sense :soon: (hopefully :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

I was gonna suggest this very same thing!!!

Hate this new look

1 Like

:frowning:

What do you mean by ā€œlookā€, this is not a new look but a different set of functionalities, right?

I personally donā€™t immediately like the change. However I trust that these guys know what they are doing. There are going to have to be some major changes to the app when current accounts are here so I imagine (hope) that this change is the start of some very cool features that are only really going to make sense when Monzo is operasting a full current account.
What I would say is we havenā€™t had any major ā€˜sneak peeksā€™ in a while. There must be loads you could show us to do with how the app is going to run when in current account mode. This might help people who donā€™t like the changes understand the rational behind them?
Ashley

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea. Weā€™ll share a few things over the week :slight_smile:

Thanks!

6 Likes

Sorry dude I meant functionality, the do da at the top, just not keen on it.

I was actually going to suggest @nathanvoller did below

Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not alone with the dislike of the new look! Youā€™ve set the standards too high for yourselves, Monzo :slight_smile: Itā€™s hard to accept ā€œOKā€ when weā€™ve had beautiful! :smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t always find the graph being there all the time useful, I would personally like to see more screen given to my payment details so maybe an option to turn the graph off / hide it? Best of both worlds then.

It was indeed so bad when it launched that the company itself put an apology out. Since then though itā€™s become my only map app. Integrated transit directions which I find much easier to follow than Googleā€™s, far more pleasant on the eye, and excellent integration with the iOS calendar app when suggesting the next place I need to be and how long it will take to get there.

Obviously Googleā€™s maps app can do integration with their calendar app but I wish to avoid having a Google account.

In respect of the Monzo app, I would find it much nicer to see Appleā€™s cartography. Just my preference :slight_smile:

But instead of supporting two separate maps across two different OS it is better for Monzo to have one single unified database and one map program across both

1 Like

Oh Iā€™m sure thereā€™s sound technical reasons for the decision, itā€™s just the announcement was made without any explanation, thatā€™s all. Itā€™s a shame, but not the end of the world.

I do hope though that no location information is collected by Google as a result of using their mapping product.

Hereā€™s the explanation for the change -

2 Likes

Thanks Alexs. Iā€™m interested in your comment that [quote=ā€œalexs, post:55, topic:8120ā€]
Google is far and away the best source of accurate data we can get for merchants, by an order of magnitude.
[/quote]

I may have misunderstood your technical explanation of what is actually happening when you pull in mapping data from Google.

I read your post as: the app draws the pin onto a ā€˜copyā€™ of a map obtained from Googleā€™s servers, cached locally onto the device. In other words, Google doesnā€™t get to ā€˜seeā€™ that I just visited a particular merchant.

If this is the case, what is the relevance of Googleā€™s superior merchant database, if all thatā€™s happening is a pin is being dropped onto a map based on my latitude and longitude, and the merchant info comes from the transaction detail rather than Google?

I have likely not understood your post correctly, so any clarification would be welcome :slight_smile:

(It might sound overboard, but I go out of my way to avoid using Googleā€™s products due to a deep distrust of the company, so this issue is quite important for me)

Hey - yes @james clarified this for other concerned users.

2 Likes

I guess then I remain confused as to why there was a need to switch to Google Maps? Alexsā€™ comment suggests that one of the benefits is their more complete merchant dataā€¦ but if all thatā€™s required is dropping a pin onto a map, what is the value of Googleā€™s merchant data in this process?

Having picked up the userā€™s location, Monzo still needs to match that with the correct merchant.

Edit - Iā€™ve double checked that this is correct with Tristan.

I guess then I remain confused as to why there was a need to switch to Google Maps?

To use Google Places data, we need to show it on a Google Map :slight_smile:

1 Like