New feature for virtual cards

Hot on the heels of our update to connected accounts last week, we’ve got more improvements to your Monzo Plus and Monzo Premium accounts!

Virtual cards are one of our customers’ favourite features, and you’ve given us some great ideas on how to make them even more useful. While we’re still working on some of the meatier updates (:eyes:), we’ve got a few updates for you today.

We’ve made it easier to manage subscriptions and free trials using virtual cards. Here’s what’s new:

1. :sparkles: You can now set a date for us to automatically delete your virtual card.

2. :sweat_smile: If you change your mind, you can edit a virtual card to change the date, or turn off auto-delete

3. :writing_hand: You can change the colour or name of your virtual card at any time

From user interviews and survey results we’ve found that many of you need better functionality to manage your free trials so you’re not accidentally being charged. Using a virtual card with an auto-delete date can solve this problem.

If you use a virtual card to manage a subscription, please check you don’t legally have to make payments, like a gym membership with a minimum term.

Let us know what you think of the changes, and how you’ve been using your virtual card.

:arrows_counterclockwise: You’ll need to be on the latest version of Monzo (3.77) for this to work

:question: Bonus question: how would you describe a virtual card to your friends?

49 Likes

Bruh! Awesome!

Pot linking next? It’s all I need to be lured back to Plus.

8 Likes

Great work @tomdavies … It’s really exciting to see Monzo rolling out these much wanted features… I look forward to virtual cards linked to pots coming soon…:smiley:

I don’t have a use case for deleting cards yet, but wonder if you have considered the ability to freeze virtual cards? This would provide an additional layer of security for virtual cards that are not used that often…

5 Likes

This made me chuckle :smiling_face_with_tear: but very much agreed! Awesome!

2 Likes

Loving all these updates!

5 Likes

I’ve waited longer than two years to say this, but Monzo are killing it lately!

And there’s more still to come!

Can’t wait to see what transpires from this. It feels great to be excited by Monzo again!

22 Likes

Great! :slight_smile:

I think this may tempt me back too :eyes:

6 Likes

:eyes:

What’s the vegan equivalent of a meatier update? :thinking:

8 Likes

A meatless update

11 Likes

Jackfruitier :eyes:

As Jack Fruit seems to be a substitute for meat a lot? :thinking:

9 Likes

I might be a tad boring, but this is the best thing to happen to virtual cards so far. Only two days ago I wanted to change the name of a card, and ended up deleting it and making a new one. :+1::+1::+1::+1:

7 Likes

That doesn’t sound as good

Keep with your original :grin:

1 Like

Is there scope for a one time use disposable virtual card like revolut? That feature makes it the go to card for free trials and less trustworthy sites for me

Edit: Kudos for the flurry of recent updates

4 Likes

This is cool. But unfortunately I’m using all 5 of my virtual cards for ongoing subscriptions so I can’t create more for free trials.

That is unfortunate!

Definitely some new funky stuff coming. I see that the virtual card management screen has a “pay from” section with of course the current account being the only option but seems other things could be added there too like pots!

5 Likes

A Quornier update.

9 Likes

Excellent Update :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As someone who likes meat.

A sadness update.