Netflix Chat

They’re just an ISP, like Virgin or Plusnet. They sell the same service they do, but different (better imo) policies.

https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/l2tp-service/

This is what I was thinking.

1 Like

How Netflix will enforce its ban on password sharing (msn.com)

Why are people still okay with this? is Netflix really THAT good?

2 Likes

1 Like

Once upon a time it probably was. Before they had competition. Not anymore.

2 Likes

Oh fun. When they inevitability come after me for £4.99 for password sharing with myself, I’ll cancel permanently and get myself a galleon to acquire the final season of stranger things.

3 Likes

I guess as yours would’ve always shown the same data they may not be fussed.

1 Like

My Apple TV has a different address to my mac (which has its own for reasons) and my other devices like my iPad and iPhone. So that’s 3 different IP address tied to just my own stuff where I might like to watch the next episode of Riverdale. They’re going to need to trust that all 3 are me even if they appear to be in different parts of the country. And they certainly could do that, but then it means others would have some leeway to bypass the lockdown too.

And what of when I turn iCloud relay on, which most Apple folks will use? Are they going to ban the use of that or require you to turn it off once a month?

You know what this fiasco reminds me of? The announcement of the Xbox One.

1 Like

The whole thing is just too vague. People need to have clear information about how it works or else they are just going to panic. It might be nowhere near as harsh as people think, but because we aren’t really sure how it works, most people are going to assume the worst, which really isn’t good for Netflix.

A device limit would be a much clearer way to do this.

2 Likes

Does the relay thing have a trusted list?

I just read that it only does it for web pages not apps so you should be fine if using an app.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. It’s also the key misstep microsoft made with the Xbox one too. Not all of the ideas at the time were inherently bad, it was all just too vague so folks didn’t trust it and lost confidence. Or that at least seems to the sentiment these days when it props up in conversation. At the time I don’t remember any nuance, just a lot of anger.

No and I wouldn’t want it to. Once it has a trusted list it gives companies an opportunity to try to get you to give up your reclaimed privacy like a trojan horse.

No app for Mac. They should make one though.

edit for WWDC fans: I’ve heard some whisperings and rumours that private relay will soon apply to apps too*. Sorry Netflix :slightly_frowning_face:

*not guaranteed.

2 Likes

The rules are clear, it’s not vague in the slightest.

2 Likes

Just seems over dramatic in all fairness.

To those wanting others passwords, stop being a sponge, or just visit the house of the account owner once a month.

3 Likes

So can you explain in detail how the technology behind it works and how they can actually tell who is in which household?

And what about all the cases where people aren’t sharing passwords but might be caught out by this system? How do these cases work?

2 Likes

That doesn’t matter. How Netflix will police it is up to them.

The rules are clear. Don’t try and skirt the rules and it won’t matter.

So you can’t explain it which confirms what we have been saying. The policy and its implementation are vague which will cause issues for Netflix.

And it does matter because how will they know whether you are following the rules? We don’t know. Based on what we do know, it is possible that Netflix may implement this policy incorrectly, so it definitely does matter even if you don’t skirt the rules.

1 Like

You like to keep repeating the same thing don’t you? Even when it’s clearly wrong. First it was family, now it’s vague.

The rules are clear cut. If Netflix don’t apply them correctly then people will appeal. Have there been thousands of reports of this from the other countries that have already adopted this? I’m sure you’d have posted them if there was.

1 Like

Sure it was fairly clear here tbh.

That last sentence is interesting. So if it’s personal prime use IE people on the bus to work watching on their phone - no household? Odd one. Hdmi cable to the ready otherwise :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Oh yes, the thousands of people complaining and being confused about the implementation of the policy are all wrong and you are correct.

Whether you want to accept it or not, it is pretty clear from the response essentially everywhere that Netflix hasn’t explained this clearly.

And yes, my points about family still apply because I never said that Netflix cared about families. I said that people would judge purchase decisions based on families, like they have been doing for years now.

1 Like

A bank doesn’t tell you how to circumvent their fraud systems to carry out fraud.

No difference here. Their business, their rules. People will work it out eventually, and cry when they get caught.

3 Likes