Nationwide as a backup bank?

Nobody said it had to be one or the other, Zain. I have given the OP a suggestion as to how he could get just as much money in a shorter timeframe.

He could have £125 within days for a few minutes work rather than waiting a year for the “45 seconds” work that you suggest.

I don’t know you, but for some reason you are persistently singling me out. This used to be a friendly place when I first joined. I see it’s changed. :roll_eyes:

A second account that does cheque imaging may be useful if you expect to get the odd cheque.

If you want things to be friendly, I’d suggest against calling interest a bribe and painting people that get interest as bribe takers.

The OP has been polite to me as have I to them. The word “bribe” was used in the context of banks using financial inducements to persuade customers to CASS from one institution to another. It is a term that is used in this context.

You appear to be on a mistaken crusade against me as you misinterpreted a word in a previous post and you won’t let it go. :man_shrugging:t2:

Unfortunately i dont meet the requirements for the HSBC switch as i wouldnt be able to put the minimum £1750 in per month so i think its a toss up between Nationwide and Barclays.

I’ve just applied for the Nationwide :+1:

2 Likes

Is your main reason not covered with Halifax?

The only reason I ask, is because if you close down all of your old standing financial relationships, your completely made up and irrelevant credit score may take a hit for a few years - So if you wanted to borrow money in any way shape or form, you may be less likely to get it.

You could open a Nationwide account in addition to your Monzo and Halifax though, and that would be less problematic on the credit score (it would also give you another account to CASS if a decent bribe came up that you qualified for).

As for the money transferring in and out, I wouldn’t worry if it was me.

I regularly send multiple thousands to different accounts each month (all in the space of 10 minutes) to qualify for the different bonuses etc. :+1:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t use the word bribe if I were you. I used it and it got me into trouble. :neutral_face:

Otherwise, all good advice. :+1:

3 Likes

Haha, I managed to dig deep and haul myself past that exchange…

I completely get what you were saying… There are many “banking bribes” or… “Welcome offers” that would net you £125 or more immediately, with no need to stick around for a year etc.

You could also do a few different ones in a year making up to £500 ish if you were so inclined (and didn’t mind the credit checks on your file).

I’ve done some of them, and it’s easy work (providing you qualify for the “bonus/bribe”).

The Nationwide interest is more an ongoing perk of the account than an immediate welcome offer/bribe … But I’m sure everyone* knew what you meant by “bribe” in that context :smile:

*Almost everyone.

1 Like

Yes my main reasons are covered with Halifax but there is the incentive to switch to Nationwide which, for me, is worthwhile. Im not too bothered about my credit score really i doubt it will impact me too much.

Is the actual incentive to do a genuine switch (CASS) to Nationwide?

Or could you simply open an account, leave your Halifax as it is, and have the best of both (plus a potential dormant account to use to “switch” for another bonus at a later date)?

You don’t need £1750 in one go. What you could do is transfer in £1, 1750 times. Or transfer a grand in twice.

I do exactly this :slight_smile:

You mean like transfer a grand in to HSBC, then transfer it out, then back in again??

Yeah.

Wouldnt that look really dodgy to the banks raising flags? Totally doable but really cheeky?

People have done this since the beginning of time. It’s all fine.

1 Like

I done exactly this and opened the Nationwide account for the 5% interest. I get paid into another account and just transfer it on payday and then back over to meet the criteria.

I’ll be setting up an S/O to and from once mines set up.

1 Like

That disappeared in April 2019.

I snuck in with days to go :grin:

2 Likes