My voice, your voice, everyone has a voice!

Monzo is great, never before have I felt so involved with my bank, I’m confident Santender do not have a customer forum whereby account holders can hook up and discuss the working or suggest future idea for improving things.

MONZO really does make me feel like part of the family.

:slight_smile:

16 Likes

So glad you feel that way Trevor! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Up to a point, Trevor

I had forgotten that I had given Monzo a 5 star review on TrustPilot a year ago. I have now updated that review and downgraded to 3 stars for the reasons set out below:

Great card, up to a point. Innovative and useful. But not as good as it was.
Great card. Nice to see transactions register instantly, and sort themselves out by vendor and type of spending. I travel a lot on business and it’s nice not to to have to pay any fees, unlike most other cards which rip you off on forex. Recently spent a week in the States without ever having to use cash. The only downside is that you can’t use the card for Uber, but to be fair that applies to all pre-pays and there is nothing Monzo can do about it. Superb customer service. The card is a bit garish - once seen, never forgotten! Now that I have this I have almost entirely stopped using cash or credit cards as it is a great way to keep track of spending.

EDIT

A year on from my original review, I have downgraded my rating from 5 stars to 3 stars for a few reasons, specifically: 1) Overseas cash withdrawals are no longer free; 2) over the past 12 months the card has been declined on numerous occasions even though it always had a sufficient balance; 3) it is no longer possible to top up the account using a mobile; 4) the Monzo forum “community” contains a number of “over-enthusiast” posters who become downright rude and obnoxious in response to any criticism of Monzo, giving the forum at times a toxic feel, and any thread that is in any way negative or even neutral is rapidly shut down by the mods; 5) customer service now typically takes several hours to respond to a query; and 6) the roll-out of overdrafts seems to have been handled in a rather ham-fisted way.

I’ve always found customer support really quick, no transactions declined, they’ve acknowledged the failings with overdraft roll out notifications and people get responded to that way (Or what you perceive to be that way) rarely, and normally when you read what they’ve put it’s understandable

Each to their own and all that. Surprised to see you still using the account with your previous threads and that review. If I don’t like a product I stop using it

2 Likes

This is one of the thread I created which was critical but not rude. It’s still open. A lot of people contributed and almost half criticised Monzo in some way or other.

Monzo mods and other community users don’t like rude, unfair and unjust comments/threads even if they themselves are critical of some things Monzo does. So please don’t spread ‘fake news’

4 Likes

Really? I only ever top up my Monzo account using a mobile

5 Likes

@Nick3, I’m sorry you feel this way, you appear to be very much in the minority or possible even on your own as I know from my own experience and the experience of my friends who I have convinced to move is only positive. I recommend the account to anyone that listens and like I said feel very much included in the banks business decisions, obviously at a lower level but that is still miles higher than any involvement I have ever had with Santander/ barclays etc etc.

3 Likes

“Monzo mods and other community users don’t like rude, unfair and unjust comments/threads even if they themselves are critical of some things Monzo does. So please don’t spread ‘fake news’”

I think this makes my point. While I have never (I hope) made a rude, unfair or unjust comment here, I have had a couple of threads shut down for expressing mild dissatisfaction, and have requested (and to Monzo’s credit) had deleted a number of responses that were rude and obnoxious.

As a longer standing user than most my TrustPilot opinion quoted above is my honest, and hardly rude or unfair opinion.

Where exactly do you see the fake news?

@Nick3, I’m sorry you feel this way, you appear to be very much in the minority or possible even on your own as I know from my own experience and the experience of my friends who I have convinced to move is only positive. I recommend the account to anyone that listens and like I said feel very much included in the banks business decisions, obviously at a lower level but that is still miles higher than any involvement I have ever had with Santander/ barclays etc etc.

It is conceivable that as you imply I am the only person in the world with my opinion. I think it unlikely, judging by the private messages I get here. However, even if true, that wouldn’t necessarily make me wrong, and as an argument it falls into the Schopenhauer Bad Argument category.

While the Monzo engagement may be true at a general discourse level - and indeed it obviously is - whether that holds any weight when it comes to business decisions is more questionable. I don’t blame Monzo for that, but I suspect you have less influence other than on trivialities than you might think.

I agree it is at a very trivial level that my business input is required by Monzo, however I was referring to just that, never ever has Santander asked me how they should structure the charges for non UK cash machine withdrawals, and it is those kind of small insignificant details that matter as a user, I at no point expect an invite to the discuss the 5 year business plan.

3 Likes

I’m also not suggesting that you are wrong, you are allowed your view, however surely if having a monzo account causes you so much hardship and stress you should maybe look elsewhere for an account, I hear first direct have a very good customer service record.

2 Likes

This is another Schopenhauer Bad Argument, whereby you invent points that I haven’t made in order to make snippy answers to imaginary complaints. It’s commonly known as straw man. I have never said that Monzo causes me hardship and stress, and the community coming up with this nonsense is a good example of one reason why I downgraded my TrustPilot rating from 5 to 3. I have the card, and may use it more in future for other than forex, but at present it’s pretty basic for a bank account.

Although Monzo has some cute app features, it is competing in a world where, for example, Nationwide has an adequate app and actually pays 5% interest on current account balances whereas Monzo pays 0%.

Ok.

2 Likes

No Trevor you are right, Santander may not have that. However I much prefer the 1.5% interest my cash earns in two accounts rather than putting all my cash into Monzo for nothing in return. I’ve needed real help from Santander and got it, promptly. That means a lot to me, however earning interest on my money means a lot more to me than a fourm ever will. A forum doesnt help towards teh bills.

Yeah, I get that but I do live in hope that l monzo will at some point and some point soon start to offer an interest rate that’s fair to all.

I have ploughed all my free cash into my mortgage due to interest rates being so low and I overpay literally all my spare cash every month, this in turn means that I have little in the way of cash savings to earn interest on, and in the long run I’ll be quids in… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I can’t fault you there at all. Best thing to do now is pay debts off, as you say, our money isn’t making anything more elsewhere. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I’m pretty fortunate as my only debt is my mortgage…:slight_smile:

I was just using Santander as an example, but I have seen me spending ages on the phone in a Que to get submit really simple resolved… I now also bank with natwest and while I see they have a chat facility it can still take ages for a response. I think the real problem is that the old traditional banks have aging systems and the problem with that relates to the size of operation it is to replace everything I mean in both time and money, whereas a start up is starting with everything new so I have no doubt that in 20 or 30 years time monzo my face similar problems and a new newstart will outshine them in everyway.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.