My passport has expired and want a current account

As I understand it, one needs a passport to obtain a provisional license. I currently do not have a drivers license or a passport but I do have security clearance card with photo ID from my last job working for a company that produced bank cards. Would that be of any use at all?

No, you don’t need a passport to get a provisional license

It needs to be a government issued ID so unfortunately a work ID won’t be suitable

1 Like

I just reviewed the requirements:

I don’t have any of these. So I will need a passport to get a provisional license. Everything centres on a passport or a drivers license and without the passport you cannot even get that.

in Northern Ireland you just need a Birth certificate as proof.

I think the way it’s listed you can do any on that page so

As @Rat_au_van helpfully pointed out - you don’t need a valid passport at all, it just makes the process much easier. The National Insurance letter/card + a birth certificate would be an easy option.

Sounds like you’ve recently left this job - you can use your birth certificate and the P45 from the employer as identity proof too.

2 Likes

A driving license can be both but banks won’t accept it for both your ID and address proof generally. You’ll need to use your driving license as either ID proof or address proof.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Removed Posts - October 2019

Thats a bit melodramatic, I can’t see a crisis unless I’ve missed something. They already admitted they should have sent someone instead of Tom who wasn’t available and have put out a reply to the Watchdog show. They are following the same rules as the other banks.

They do need to improve the customer experience by recruiting and training to keep up with the demand in growing so quickly. That might turn people off but it isn’t a crisis.

Watchdog is like watching the DailyMail. These three people have an issue so it must mean all three million are affected.

5 Likes

Most of it is scaremongering. In the same episode they even managed to slip in a comment about the Chinese spying on anyone and everyone so it’s all to be taken with a pinch of salt.

They raised some fair points but unless we’re doing something dodgy there’s nothing to really worry about.

Easy way to avoid an issue is not to have all of your eggs in one basket then if any of your accounts do get frozen you’ve got a credit card or other account to fall back on.

I recently traded in my PS4 at Game. They needed ID, but wouldn’t take my provisional license. Said something about how to get a provisional they didn’t do any ‘credit checks’ to prove the address was correct, but for the full license they did. I’m absolutely certain they don’t do any additional checks (other than checking you passed your test) when you change, but can anyone explain what might have caused them to have this policy?

Very intrigued by this, given that you can apply for a provisional under 18, and you can’t have a credit report under 18, those individuals are then essentially unable to trade in games?

1 Like

Sounds like a case of the employee giving any old reason that springs into mind.

4 Likes

He was one of those gamer nerd types who was very confident but it didn’t sound right, though I’m sure there use be an actual reason for their policy.

Maybe historically there used to be differences which haven’t existed for a long time but ID policies in stores haven’t been updated.

Does it have to be a British birth certificate?

Yes, the guidance states it has to be a UK birth certificate*

You may find it useful to contact DVLA via live web chat to discuss your options and what ID proofs you have.

The problem with an expired ID of any kind is that it’s not technically a valid ID because it’s expired.

The whole point of the expiry date is that it forces you to update your passport at regular intervals - so that it remains relevant and valid.

5 Likes

Quite possibly they have noticed a spurious correlation between dodgy transfers and people using provisional licences - ie more likely to be used by young teens who are trying too get one over them - and have taken a sledgehammer to crack the nut. Certainly the reasons that you have been given about credit checks is rubbish. But in any case, as a private company they’re entitled to make their own decisions about what they accept as id.

2 Likes

I don’t agree. A government issued ID is an official ID. I’m in my late 30’s and have a provisional ID. If people do proper checks beyond a simple ID check then the fact my licence is provisional should be irrelevant.

2 Likes

It doesn’t really matter if you agree or not though. The retailer can choose what to accept, or, refuse to serve you, period.