Multiple Joint Accounts?

Wife & I are really enjoying shared joint account and shared pots, but on feature that we would really enjoy would be a second joint account with a second debit card.

While there are plenty of features like monthly summary categories and hashtags to manage expenditure we would like the ability to select from 2 different joint debit cards at the point of making purchases in stores.

Is there any plans for multiple joint accounts?

1 Like

Whilst I would support the endeavour, multiple accounts are not possible or planned on normal accounts so I doubt there are plans to make them available on joint accounts. If you just meant multiple cards on one account, they are not planned right now either but I can see their usefulness.

I’m not sure why you would need this but as @Chapuys said, there are no current plans. Sorry :frowning:

1 Like

It’s probably worth clarifying it is technically possible to have multiple accounts - it’s not a backend restriction per-say. It’s not clear how we would make the user experience work so whilst you can technically have two joint accounts (there are some users in staging with a few!) we decided to launch joint accounts with only one account possible between two people :+1: It’s easier to expand that as the product develops, rather than have to reverse changes/remove functionality later down the line if it doesn’t quite fit :blush:

9 Likes

Having a separate account (joint or sole depending on circumstances) specifically for SODDs would really separate out committed vs available spending.

And likely so much easier to implement than a committed spending pot :man_shrugging:t2:

Committed spending pot already exists :slight_smile: It’s just not rolled out to customers yet. Works very well as far as I’ve used it :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Is this after it’s been reworked? I know the first attempt was “okay” but needed to be reworked to cater for certain issues (or something, I forget).

Just trying to gauge time until we are surprised by a new Labs item that will BLOW. OUR. MINDS.

5 Likes

:man_shrugging: Have asked the experts!

2 Likes

I know I’m resurrecting this but:

Would love multiple joint accounts. My partner and I have a joint account for general monthly spending (homewares, eating out, groceries) and another non-Monzo account for direct debits and rent which we pay X amount in at the beginning of each month and let it be handled entirely by DD.

So this is the case for multiple joint accounts.

Given Monzo’s stance on multiple joint accounts, if multiple joint accounts were allowed, I don’t think Monzo would allow someone to have more than one joint account with the same person.

However, it sounds like a Committed Spend pot would be a solution to your problem. You can vote for a Committed Spend pot here:

2 Likes

Return to this thread again after opening another non-Monzo joint account for purpose of running our family finances. Simple but unexpected benefit wife & I now have two ‘different’ coloured joint debit cards loaded on our mobile phones. In our case one is dedicated to daily spending and the other bills. While I like the idea of pots with committed spending, have to admit directing purchases at the point of purchase has become essential to our budgeting. I hope Monzo will review policy on multiple joint accounts (and mulitple coloured cards)

There are still no plans.

Most people want a second account to separate their bills from their main expenditure, so Monzo have been creative and have come up with a unique solution.

Now you can set aside all your bill money into a pot and have it taken directly from there :tada:

This way you can easily manage all your finances in the one place without the hassle of managing multiple accounts :raised_hands: Sounds like it’s not too far off completion so fingers crossed it will be here soon :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I also feel that I need multiple joint accounts. I’ve just joined Monzo purely for the Joint account Pots feature. At the moment I have a bills account (with another bank ) a joint account with Monzo with multiple pots which are used for term-time /monthly spending related to kids school, music lessons/sports/drama etc these amounts are scheduled withdrawals at the beginning of the week , so during the week the balance is purely for the use of paying for my children’s lessons, school dinners etc and we don’t want to touch the balance for anything else. But I also have a joint spending account (with another bank) that I would like to move to Monzo - which is used for weekly food shopping, petrol, cinema. It doesn’t look like I can set this kind of functionality up with Monzo?

The bills pot that I mentioned directly above your post should help and it just went live recently :slight_smile:

You can now negate the need for a separate account for your direct debits because you can segregate them in Monzo :tada:

1 Like

It’s safer to have accounts at multiple banks, though. If one hits the buffers, at least you have an account you can use elsewhere while waiting for the compensation scheme to sort itself out.

Thanks. The problem I’ve got is my joint monzo does not have any regular direct debits, it’s just a holding account for termtime expenses, all the payments I make for school dinners/music etc are ad hoc bank transfers of variable amounts or cash payments.

Ahhh ok. What’s wrong with just having a standard pot and dipping in as and when you need? Is this not the same as having a separate account?

You can even schedule payments into the pot to build up the amount :slight_smile:

Yes that’s fine, that’s what I’ve set up - to dip in and out when needed. The issue is, I need an account that we use everyday for food etc. So what I will end up with is a joint account balance that contains designated money towards music/school payments which are scheduled withdrawals and also money for living on in the week for whatever I need (food, coffee, petrol etc) it’s very easy for one of us to forget what the money is there for and buy steaks - suddenly the kids music lesson money is gone on steak and wine (hope that makes sense!)

Can’t you just set a budget up and be rigid? I think summary is the only feature you seem to need really.