Move long card number to back of physical card

If it’s embossed, the number can’t be rubbed off? Look at any card more than a few months old and the colouring has come off making it hard to read.

OK, that wasn’t quite the point you are making but the fact is, the current card design (colouring used for the embossed number) is dire, much like my fd debit card that has the same problem.

1 Like

When embossed a rubbed number can still be made out though. But the biggest point is the ability for people with impaired vision to be able to use the card easier

It’s surprisingly common in Japan and the novelty wears off after the first dozen uses - especially when you’re in a taxi and in a rush to get somewhere… and I’ve had to use it before in India, the USA and the UK.

I think the fact Apple is a multi-billion dollar company, and will be bringing (potentially) billions of new customer through mastercard systems was more of a factor. I doubt they’d do the same for many other companies as this clearly ‘breaks’ their standard agreements on positioning etc…

Why not remove all of this information from the card altogether, move the 16 digit number, CSV and expiry date to the app exclusively. There no practical purpose for these to be on the card anymore.

We only display these on the card because it’s the way it’s always been done. Should we be thinking about what a card should look like in today’s modern times

Imagine a sexy card with just your name and the Monzo Logo. Maybe some subtle coral colouring, oh my god - add a watermark.

2 Likes

Ooohh, Thomas Cook time travel holidays :wink: I don’t think I have ever come across these ever in my whole life, I would love to see one in real life.

This was mentioned before and @hugo did give some reasoning behind it all (albeit this is from Dec 18):

I’m honestly not bothered or swayed either way - embossed looks like most normal cards and non-embossed has a bit more of a “design” edge but meh :man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

What if you lose your phone? How are you meant to buy a new phone without your 16 digit number and CSV?

You can access monzo via the Web Client

2 Likes

But you can’t view your 16 digit card number or CVC via Monzo Web.

1 Like

:laughing: you cant access your CVC number via the core App either and until recently you couldn’t access the 16 digit number. If Monzo wanted to pursue this idea, then I think they could quite easily add this.

1 Like

I’m not necessarily against the idea of removing the 16 digit number, CVC and expiry date from the card. Just pointing out that the idea has significant problems until Monzo build the ability to show the 16 digit number, CVC and expiry date in both the app and on Monzo Web.

1 Like

Assuming you still had your card, you’d still be able to use that to purchase a new phone in store somewhere wouldn’t you?

1 Like

True. However, from personal experience, buying a phone at a store is more difficult and more expensive than buying a phone online.

Stick the cvv in a hologram so you have to tilt it at an angle to read it. Problem solved :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Here you go, knock yourself out and buy one…:joy:

To be fair, on my visits to both Japan and India, I’ve only ever used cash. USA, still never had to have my card rolled over and I’ve been known to spend a few bucks in large malls. Same in South Africa, never seen one anywhere when I’ve whipped out the plastic.