Monzo tops MSE customer service poll

Monzo refused to fund my Blanket habit. Unlike Starling.

Given voters can only vote on a single bank and it’s meant to be your main bank, the sheer number of people providing votes for Monzo is impressive regardless of position in table. Suggests high usage amongst MSE readers.

More than votes provided for BoS, Halifax, RBS, and TSB.
Approaching the number of votes provided for Barclays, HSBC, and Lloyd’s.

1 Like

This is fantastic to see, and I imagine it’s the kind of thing that tips the scales for a lot of people to go #FullMonzo.

Things aren’t always perfect, and there’s always room for improvement, but there’s a lot of people working incredibly hard here, and it’s incredibly gratifying when the external data reflects that.

10 Likes

I’m guessing the real one to shout about will be in August this year where Monzo and Starling get included for the first time. Knock First Direct and Metro down a peg :wink:

I remember them doing this ad the first time they won

Exciting! :tada:

I also just convinced my significant other to switch his main account from First Direct to Monzo, so the part about FD being knocked off the top spot is quite satisfying. :grin:

(Welcome to the cult, @CarlMorgan.)

3 Likes

I would strongly disagree with your statement about Monzos customer service, I’ve been with quite a few banks and I’m sorry but Monzo tops all for customer service.

3 Likes

It’s fantastic for Monzo, and in context of the poll, I agree with it and believe it is deserved. It does not, however, invalidate the personal opinions of users have experienced bad customer service and choose to come here and share their thoughts.

1 Like

I think I missed the bit where @jzw95 suggested that the poll invalidates personal opinions.

In my opinion, we should all recognise that we all have our own personal experiences. And that these are valid.

But aggregating experiences (through, for example, polls or market research) does reveal something important. If this picture conflicts with my personal experience it doesn’t make that invalid, just different to the aggregate.

Both can coexist harmoniously. There’s no need, in my view, to set them up in opposition to each other.

6 Likes

Yes, I agree with you. I apologise if I misconstrued their comment, but the intent felt like it was there and the sarcastic tone doesn’t help.

1 Like

Please don’t forget this part of our code of conduct :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Dan. The comment I replied to is, as I understand it, sarcasm. The intent of sarcasm by definition is to ridicule a point of view, which is what I was criticising because it is disrespectful. I feel like my contribution was fair and in response to the content, not the tone. I made reference to the tone to explain my interpretation of the content. If my understanding is wrong here, then I of course apologise.

As the code of conduct says - please focus on the words themselves and not the tone. It’s very easy to misconstrue the tone online when you’re missing so many paralinguistic clues.

1 Like

Please clarify with a yes or no: is my response violating that rule?

(@N26throwaway maybe DM someone to get an answer?).

Back on topic.

This is great to see, Monzo on top of a poll. It is significant, just as it tips past 4m users. The challenge is to stay there of course!

FYI - I’ve only ever had good customer service when I’ve needed it.

3 Likes

Honestly, FD’s customer service has been top notch every single time I’ve needed them. The main reason I was convinced to switch is that FD’s app is a bit dated, and the security (even for me with qualifications in IT and a security conscious person) was a little overkill with multiple code generators and no way to re-install the app even if you use a back-up restore. Monzo’s app seemed to hit a better note of secure but convenient, while the lure of having the easy options for splitting bills and such with @katewilliams (Hi!) made it seem like a decent second choice. Then when I played with the app and found more conveniences like putting payments in to categories I figured I may as well just CASS across and use it all as intended. No one thing was a game-changer when coming from a well respected bank like FD, but the fluffies like “User experience” and “Day to day journey” along with the now well known frictionless ability to switch are what tipped it for me. We will see how it pans out when my switch completes, but I am sure it will all be fine.

3 Likes

Its important not to get too carried away.

1. MSE polls, unlike some others, are not done scientifically and depend purely on who votes.

2. First Direct have received consistently good ratings for years from many sources.

3. As the MSE article says, last time MSE ran the poll, Monzo didn’t even receive the 100 votes required to be counted in their rankings.

2 Likes

Also worth noting that MSE still RECOMMENDS First Direct, as they offer other incentives.

Plus, I’m still not massively convinced that the poll wasn’t just gamed by us! It’s a good thing that the Monzo community is vibrant, I don’t think I’ve seen anything like this with another bank - does FD have a community forum at all?

Can’t remember anyone posting about that poll here for a long time, might have missed it

3 Likes

I think places like Twitter and Facebook would be more likely to be where these things happened. I can remember Starling doing a few “vote for us!” tweets a while back.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.