Monzo "too modern"?

I’d be interested to know how often those people visit their current bank branches, to see how big a issue it really is for them

5 Likes

I’ve never found it ‘too modern’ - In fact probably the most useful! - The instant notification, budgeting and although I don’t have one - I’m sure the simply explained overdraft terms and conditions is a major bonus for some people.

I see this all the time when I venture into the MSE forums shudder. Depositing cash seems to be the only thing I would go into a branch for and I haven’t deposited cash in years.

The only other times I had to go into a branch was because they couldn’t offer it online/in-app (which they now do).

I guess some people like the ‘humaness’ of branches. And queueing.

3 Likes

Going back to Tristan’s original question, I wonder if there’s a difference between a) people for whom the whole app banking thing is too modern, and b) those that are on board with a) but don’t like Monzo for whatever reason.

I don’t have the context to Tristan’s quote, but it seemed to me that the author might have been talking about the second category, whereas most of the replies here have been about the first?

From my experience, my friends and relatives are either tech-savvy (and on Monzo), tech phobic and risk adverse (classic bank, unlikely to switch) or chasing the latest incentive (Monzo is out because there’s no short term gain).

Design-wise, I do think that Monzo could be a bit slicker. For example, Summary is great, but I can’t help think that it could be better presented - although I can’t really tell you how… I also wonder if some step-by-step guides for new users (CASS, set up summary, make your first transfer, using the feed…) might be useful. I’m thinking here of someone like my dad who will eventually come to Monzo as part of the zeitgeist (sic?) but could do with a little help to get him going…

1 Like

I think for most people it’s a comfort thing… when something actually goes wrong the majority of the time people in legacy bank will just point you at a phone anyway…so the fact they can go in and see someone is a false comfort but that false comfort exists. Just as some might say the reason for religion existing…

To say something is too modern is like saying something is too innovative. As a fintech if you aren’t making someone uncomfortable then your doing it wrong! Personally, to be “too modern” is exactly the type of business I want to invest my time in.

1 Like

I wander in and chat to Tom every few weeks. Never had that from a bank before.

5 Likes

How do I join you?! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haven’t you been to any Monzo events?

3 Likes

If anything the Monzo UI isn’t modern enough :grimacing: Seems a very strange post to me.

I visit less than 5 times a year, one is to deposit cash (the change accumulated through the year). It’s a pain already as the nearest branch is over 10 miles away, throw in parking and traffic, becomes over 2 hours just to go to the bank.

We used to have 4 banks in town, soon to be none. Nearest town had more, will be down to Lloyds and Barclays I think by the end of the year.

My parents still like cash, with all the branches closing there’s now a lack of cash machines.

Was lucky I had cash yesterday, stupid car park machine wouldn’t accept Monzo cards.

1 Like

Unfortunately I think this is just a changing of times. If a lot of people really wanted to use cash the cash machines would stay. Where I live, some banks left but were forced by the council to keep the cash machines in operation

1 Like

We just have a van that comes once a week, mostly for the businesses. For some of them the local branch is now over 10 miles away.

Being a holiday town doesn’t help, it only keeps the cash machines in demand for 6 months a year (in August they get empty quite often), the rest of the time they are probably hardly used.

1 Like

Ditto, I used to use my local branch to deposit all the change accumulated throughout the past year (or less, depending on how much we’re talking about). I’ve now switched to using up any spare coins whenever I use the self-service tills at Tesco (thanks to something someone said on here!) and it’s made life so much easier. I tend to go once a week for a few bits and bobs I missed in the main shop, and I can get rid of all of my change from the past week at the same time (and pay the remainder on my Monzo). This means there’s no need to store it at home, too, although my jeans pockets can get a bit burdened!

I’ve had no need to go to a branch at all for quite some time.

Last went to a branch 2 years ago and was 8 years before that. Last phoned 4 years ago to tell them a change of address. Put cash in at the post office

1 Like

No relevance

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.