Monzo Plus - Weekly Update 17th October 2019

I’d agree with @Rat_au_van, inability to read Ts&Cs before adding anything to the account is a major weakness Monzo–wide (this is the case for external savings accounts and old Monzo Plus).

Finding Ts&Cs which apply to your account is also difficult. Should all be in one place, and visible to all (ie. website)

2 Likes

I hope the new team doesn’t think the sign up flow was the reason Plus failed?

Any update on the actual product?

8 Likes

Oh dear, not exactly glowing praise from your fans here!

I can’t disagree. It’s wholly unclear from your post why this won’t be as disastrous as previously…

The phrase “lessons learned” comes to mind.

2 Likes

Waiting for the update thread dated 24th for actual answers (hopefully).

It’s week 4 or 5 of development guys.

They are in the building a concept phase.

Design and User Experience is important in testing the concept. It does not matter (yet) if they do not have a fully designed package with relevant suppliers on board at this stage, because they need to demonstrate the viability of the concept first.

I’m beginning to think that these updates are more damaging [to plus development] than they are useful.

Monzo have shown their capabilites enough times in the realm of project management - criticising their team, their experience, is not helpful to the cause.

10 Likes

Lots of negative comments here around the approach being taken, but from my time in software dev, this looks like a pretty standard roadmap thats making its way through the first BA field research stages. It looks promising IMO.
The team seems to know the weight of making monzo plus a good concept and product to release and I’m very excited to see where this is going and just glad we are getting any form of updates at all.

9 Likes

I agree in part - But if you want “radical transparency” you will get people add their thoughts and feelings - Given the previous with Plus, you can see why some are nervous at the direction it’s heading again.

No one is criticising their team from what I can see (unless I missed something) - Merely asking what experience said team have in this rather important field is not a criticism.

I also don’t think that Monzo have shown their capabilities in project management - Or if they have, it’s not been good enough on the whole - Too many half finished features, a Big List that was simply a marketing exercise and numerous times that issues have had to been sorted does not fill me (and clearly some others), with a huge amount of confidence.

I think people have moved past the “Monzo says X so therefore it’s all going to be OK” and are actually questioning things.

I have no issue with Monzo doing what they want to do, and in fact, I’d much rather they came to their customer base and said “This is what we have, enjoy” - Rather than this faux collaboration that never really works.

Again, Monzo Plus will always be marked by the disaster that was… This new Monzo Plus team will likely have to live with that until they ship a replacement product - So yeah, they’ll have to field questions (if they want to), about the differences between now, and then…

Hopefully this new team make a better fist of it, but I’ve not seen much that indicates there is too much of a change in how they are approaching it (in part, because there’s no “this is what we did previously, and this is what we are doing now” type of comparison).

No one is moaning for the sake of it, but as someone who’d actually sign up to a premium Monzo package, I’d much rather I could see how it’s going to be different to the first disaster.

4 Likes

That would be great to see in a future update. I think it would certainly help ease the concerns that people have been expressing :+1:

1 Like

Give them 3 months on the plus team, and after being pulled in all different directions by us, you’ll see those greys peaking through :man_white_haired:t3:Give it time.

3 Likes

Ease or exacerbate

Possibly :man_shrugging: Would be cool to know either way!

I’m being cautiously optimistic about new Plus now I’ve finally got all the old Plus palaver off my chest :laughing: My question and comment earlier were genuine and not intended to be negative :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For those that are rightly stating that this appears to be standard R&D approach for building a concept, I couldn’t agree more.

But no concept gets greenlit if we don’t know what it’s trying to achieve? Presumably there is a Business Case that outlines this (that we are not privvy to and that’s ok!) and that’s what the team are working from to build out a concept.

My original questioning was more looking at the Business Case for ‘Plus’.

But let’s see what happens in the coming weeks, I’m willing to be delightfully surprised (or at least a little bit happy?).

While I have concerns about the products included in the “plans”, I don’t share the same criticisms as some that believe you can’t be testing the user journey at this stage. In fact I think this is a positive step and @tomdavies and team are doing the right thing here.

It is important to test the user journey at a point where the product is effectively irrelevant. This needs to be done with real people not app developers or engineers. Once you know you have a solid user journey that is easy to follow you should see a near 100% sign up rate because the testers aren’t committing to actually buy the product.

Once you introduce the product e.g. £6 a month for a coloured card, custom monzo.me username and some stickers (cough Plus v1 cough) and then see 50% sign up rate you can now be confident that you’ve got the pricing/plan completely wrong and can re-work it and not blame a user journey/product complexity issue.

4 Likes

Precisely, if you can’t get your users to even sign up on a conceptual product based on the ideal product ‘sell’ page, then there’s not point in moving to the actual development from concept > reality!

2 Likes

As a caveat to my post above, I am sceptical about the claim that team feel they already know 80% of what will be included in the plans.

So far the feedback has resoundingly dismissed the idea of paying for software features or putting parts of the app behind a paywall - yet Monzo still appear to be pushing on with this approach. While you may be sure you want to paywall the app I’d like to see the research evidence that supports this is a sensible idea.

The feedback has also consistently asked for things like phone insurance to be included in the “plan” and I wonder whether you:

• have dismissed this too
  • have (in just a few short weeks) managed to agree an insurance product
  • have decided that this will be included, but pricing and exact policy details are yet to be finalised

@tomdavies for those in the community that are understandably struggling to trust the third iteration of Monzo Plus it would be great if you could add some context to this 80% claim.

Perhaps once you’ve completed the market analysis you could share the results to give everyone confidence that this is the right direction. I’d like to see key metrics such as

• We sampled 250,000 current Monzo customers and 100,000 non-Monzo customers
  • They were split across these age ranges, demographics, etc.
  • 85% of 20-34 year olds wanted phone insurance
  • 75% of 35-44 year olds wanted home contents insurance
  • 65% of “high income” earners wanted priority customer/concierge service
  • 1% of everyone wanted to pay to unlock parts of the app
  • 0.0001% of everyone wanted to pay a monthly fee to have an unlimited number of Pots

FYI, if you aren’t researching in this way and with this level of user involvement you had better re-think your approach!

8 Likes

I can’t imagine they will share those metrics, but if they are not doing (external) quantitative research breaking down their concepts like that… Then I’m worried.

It sounds like right now, they have their idea of the concept of the package, plus a user flow.

The user flow testing will give some qualitative data, and hopefully that leads into refinement for quantitative research of the kind of breakdown above.

I imagine we won’t see a lot from them on the research methods - but it would be great to get an idea of the timelines they are working to and why…

I hope the research doesn’t consist of A/B testing and in app surveys.

Hi @tomdavies, i just wanted to say thank you so much for the update, and also apologise if my response in the last update seemed a bit… harsh.

I do much prefer updates like this one which are straight to the point and informative, although after reading some responses to my last post it was apparent that my wording may have been off.

Great update this week, keep up the hard work. We’re all grateful for the efforts the team is putting in, and excited for what the future of Plus holds!

Sam

2 Likes

You still seem to be approaching this as an app development company rathen than as a bank. To be polishing up sign up flows 5 weeks into a project that hasn’t defined what the product is yet seems crazy (and I’m saying this from the position of working for an app development company who has made exactly the same mistake previously)

9 Likes

Frankly, most of the comments here have started from a place of hate, negativity and stupidity.

I’m of the opinion that Monzo staff should stop updating us with progress and see how long before the “whinge-brigade” last.

If you have nothing constructive to say, the majority really aren’t interested.

3 Likes

All comments in here are constructive? I don’t see any as “whinging” either :confused:

You’re right that some come from (not so much hate) but concerns over past mistakes but that doesn’t make the questions any less valid.

3 Likes