Monzo Plus - Weekly Update 17th October 2019

Hello everyone :wave:

We heard your feedback last week about not adding stuff to these updates unless it’s valuable. We’ll still share bits and pieces when it makes sense, but otherwise we’ll keep the updates relevant and brief. So just a short update for you this week.

:art: Design flows

This week we’ve been working together on the sign-up flow and membership home for the paid subscriptions. We want to build a world class home that is intuitive, valuable, and feels special. The designers have been designing it, the engineers have been building it, and the rest of the team has supported on areas like copy and research planning.

:microscope: Research

Today, the whole team is off-site for a day of user research. We’re running our first round of usability testing with some customers to walkthrough the sign-up flow for our new paid tiers.

Here’s a photo I took five minutes ago. I’m on the left, halfway through a muffin :cupcake:

We’re looking to get some direction on the following:

• What are customer pain points when signing up for a plan?
  • What questions are customers asking as they navigate through sign-up?
  • Can they find their paid subscription and the features later on when they need them?

We’re less interested in their thoughts on the actual plans (don’t worry, eventually we will be) and their features at the moment, and more focused on learning about how we can build an intuitive sign-up flow and membership home.

Hopefully we’ll have some flows, insights, and some photos to share next week.

:point_right: Next week

We’re busy working on a plan for how we want to introduce our new paid subscriptions to the market when they’re ready. We know we want to test things like pricing, discovery, and other areas but we need to make sure we do this while respecting some of the feedback we received around iterating on live products.

15 Likes

How can you effectively analyse this when the plans aren’t established?

15 Likes

That would be a little easier to answer if people knew what the product is, as some pain points can be specific to product. I assume you will be doing it again once people know what the tiers are?

The whole tone of the post reads like everything is being rushed really quickly without much thought. And look what happened the previous time you did that.

8 Likes

Curious as to how you design a sign-up flow, which will require the user to make decisions, when you don’t know what the offerings are and so which decisions a user will have to make?

Or is there another piece of work on that side we aren’t aware of (which is fine), because without knowing the end goal, how can you design a sign up process?

9 Likes

Absolutely. The plans aren’t just thrown together, we’ve included 80% of what we think these plans will include, plus some other features we’re exploring.

We’re looking at the usability and navigation mostly, but also taking note of anything called out around features or things they think are missing.

8 Likes

With twisting statistics to suit an outcome, and lack of user research being weak points for Monzo and Plus respectively, are you having a diverse broad sample base the time around covering at the minimum different age groups and genders, with enough to give meaningful data?

2 Likes

I’m kind of half serious half just curiosity but why does everyone look like they’re under 30? Do you have no experienced senior management on the team?

8 Likes

What is this?

3 Likes

With respect, if you already think you know 80% of what the plans will offer at this stage - then it sounds as if they have indeed just been thrown together.

There is no way proper market research and testing could have been done in the time you have had since the new team was put together - especially as Monzo said it was going to effectively start Plus from scratch…

As has been said by myself and others, you need to spend more time on designing the actual packages - the user journey should come later

9 Likes
  • What are customer pain points when signing up for a plan?
    • Typically when you look at existing banks signup flow, it’s disjointed. Pain is understanding what you are signing up too, clear guidance on what these features give with easy access to the policy wording. Understanding whats not covered under insurance for example
    • A single tab view each plan with feature sets, a price and then a toggle to enable. When the min period expires and yearly cost.
  • What questions are customers asking as they navigate through sign-up?
    • Single page with all plans in view, associated cost. Another tap on a plan to dig deeper and enable
  • Can they find their paid subscription and the features later on when they need them?
    • Clearly showing what plan is enabled in the same view as when you signup. Such as an Active / InActive Plan, tapping into the active will bring up features with links to policies / numbers to call
1 Like

“What are the pain points when signing-up for a plan?“

What does the plan contain?
Will it remain on sale for more than a month?
Will refunds be offered and if so on what basis?

7 Likes

Sounds to me like they were ready long before the new team took over, 80% of the plan already agreed?

Going to fall to the same result as before :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

It controls the cameras in the interview room. It’s also a mixing deck :man_singer:

2 Likes

This is completely off topic and no relevance to whats happening. Who’s to say they look young for their age. Who’s to say they don’t have 10 years+ experience under their belt?! Very ageist and very prevalent in the finance industry having been first hand declined job roles because i was perceived too young rather than lack of experience.

3 Likes

Agreed, I mean they could older than 30 who knows.

Cameras in an interview room eh… :eyes:

1 Like

Anyone in that photo could easily be in their 30s

2 Likes

Full terms and conditions as well as a summary before you actually go into the sign up flow would be good

4 Likes

Lol so you wouldn’t hire Bill gates or Steve jobs at 18 if you could?

I wouldn’t, cos they’d leave and start their own rival businesses.

3 Likes