Monzo Plus: Two Months On Poll

Insurances will be in Plus+

2 Likes

So I gave it a try as Monzo offered 3 months for free as a past plus customer and I’m still underwhelmed.

The virtual cards are about the only thing I’ve found useful. I already have the Emma app in pro mode which connects to other bankings and Cards including Amex. It also tracks all your direct debits / standing orders which Monzo doesn’t do. It also has custom categories but they’ve over all your accounts if you want.

So if nothing new is added, once the three months are up then so will plus be for me. The fact Monzo send out another plastic card when you cancel is a concern for me from an environmental point. So I may simply close my account.

Also not interested in insurance and such being bundled with banking features :raised_hand:

7 Likes

I have gadget insurance as part of my house insurance (possession I take away from the property). No need for another in Plus myself as it would be invalid or would invalidate my house insurance (most insurance policies do not allow you to insure the same thing twice at the same time).

Health insurance is one I would be interested though, and always think is a hole in the market and a way to be different from the rest that just bundle gadget insurance.

This was why I closed my N26 Metal account after the 1st year and encouraged others to do so. All this unnecessary card production is just a waste

You’ll then waste another card though :confused:

Cancel Plus and you’ll waste a card, close your account and you’ll also waste one.

@Ordog, yes but I don’t see the point in paying for a service I don’t think I’ll use. So if I cancel they will send a new card. If I cancel the account, no more cards will be issued. I can’t do anything about the existing cards.

If you were that worried about the new card, you didn’t have to get a blue one.

Or is it; Shiny card > Plastic waste > Coral card?

1 Like

As @Revels said above. Why did you order a Plus card in the first place then? You were given the option not to receive one.

You’ve therefore already contributed to plastic waste as it wasn’t necessary for you to do this.

I don’t understand this logic either. As you’re going to sign up to a new bank, get a new card and that will need replacing when it expires and such just as it would with Monzo now :confused:

Ok to clear some aspects up here, I took the card and the trial to see what it’s like, that’s the whole purpose of a trial.

Regarding opening another account, I wouldn’t have to, I have a starling account that I opened before I opened my Monzo account, plus various legacy bank accounts.

I haven’t completely made up my mind about Plus but the fact that if you end the trial that you’re issued a new card. Why not wait till the card has expired. I don’t want to close the account but I don’t want another card issued just because I chose to step down from Plus.

I think criticism of the fact I chose the card is somewhat unfair, it’s a trail, my existing Monzo card was pretty damaged already, so I would have needed a new card in any case. And if I choose to continue after the trial I would still be entitled to the card.

That’s completely valid. The card is part of Plus and you wanted all the features you’re paying for. But you can’t then criticise Monzo for plastic waste when you didn’t have to contribute to it if you feel so strongly about it.

You also have a Starling and “various legacy bank accounts”, all of which will send you new cards when yours expire, increasing waste.

2 Likes

This sounds like the plan Monzo needs - maybe they are already thinking this way? Further cutting costs via fees. More revenues from paid products. Maybe more via marketplace later?

Monzo apparently helping lots of people with visibility and operating of finance … it is time to help Monzo help more people by supporting Plus, encouraging them to develop new features in a sustainable manner.

Remarkably, the consultation result was ignored because it didn’t align with internal feedback. :man_shrugging:

There has been some reasoning provided, but this doesn’t really explain why it was ignored as the ‘flaws’ in the consultation were known (namely, that the demographics of the forum aren’t known) before it was run.

I’m all for more community involvement, but if it’s going to take the form of ‘consultations’ that are only accepted if they agree with a pre-determined decision then it’s rather pointless. In fact, I’d argue it’s worse to ask for the opinion of the community only to ignore it.

6 Likes

That was a car crash from the second he pressed submit.

If an engineer asked for some feedback, maybe you could forgive them for not thinking through the PR consequences. But someone who works in marketing, should really know better.

Dreadful from Monzo.

5 Likes

So I think I’m coming down on the side of cancelling Plus.

I really like connected accounts. But it’s under baked right now: give the the full Monzo experience (notes, tags, categories, split the bill…) and I’d be there.

I also like the Google sheet, because of the IFTTT integration. But that’s working quite slowly at the moment and I’d have to pay for IFTTT to be properly effective. So that’s out.

Which leaves me with not a lot I’m afraid. If another tier appears before the month is out with mobile and travel (remember that?) insurance then I’ll take a look to see if it’s comparable with Nationwide. Otherwise I think I’m gonna have to pass.

Some other things to sweeten the deal, that would be nice but probably won’t be swing features on their own:

• Automatic get paid early
  • An offset pot / pot(s)
  • Credit card pots (put aside as you spend)

But I think native rules and first class open banking would capture me forever.

7 Likes

100% agree with you – one addition, I’d love to swap mobile insurance for breakdown cover but I know that’s unlikely

2 Likes

Honestly, I have been enjoying plus.

I have been really enjoying the:
• Balance interest
• Monthly Score Updates
• Virtual Cards and Custom Categories

What I want to see in the future

• Metal Card (i really want to flex)
• App Icons
• Proper Round Ups
• Better Transfers Page and Payee Management
• Recurring Card transactions from specific merchants from a pot
• Change Plus repayment date
• Monzo Credit Card
• better customer service

1 Like

Metal will be with Plus+
What do you mean by proper round ups?

Monzo credit card shouldn’t and wouldn’t have anything to do with Plus.

Not everything rounds up at the moment, some things are missed, it would be good for everything to round up

This i could of mentioned better, i want to see this as an available product for everyone, it would be nice to see varients too, example:

• Credit Builder
  • Balance Transfer and Purchase Card
  • Rewards Card (Cashback offers or rewards scheme)
    etc

I have seen from the last deepdive that metal is on its way soon, so i cant wait to upgrade to that!

1 Like

Direct debits rounding up would be good!

4 Likes