Monzo Plus: Three Months In Poll

Off the top of my head, in q3 they released:

• Changes to fees and limits
  • Hiding the sort code/account number for transactions in your feed, whilst removing the ability to send money to that person from the respective transaction
  • adding back the ability to send money from the transaction interface, but only if the transaction was an outbound one
  • added a new black culture app icon (but haven’t corrected the misalignment of the Monzo logo yet).
  • added the ability to save a new payee without needing to send them money first.

Very minor changes and the removal of a convenient feature, and none of it in anyway related to Plus, which doesn’t bode well for me. Especially when fixing the alignment of the app icon would be a very simple thing to do, but it’s been 15 days and no sign of them fixing it. You have to wonder what on earth are they actually doing.

2 Likes

Perfecting the smelting of the hot coral metal cards of course, in time for Premium launch :soon:;

2 Likes

I hope they will use the bitter tears of ex-Plustomers to quench the freshly-smelted hot coral metal cards.

1 Like

So lots taken away and hardly anything added. And it’s not just an alignment issue, but worse:

In the same period, Starling launched Kite and started planting trees and who knows what else I can’t remember

1 Like

Really good poll.

I want to say thanks to the Monzo guys. Loving the plus features, can’t tell you how great it is to use your app at the centre of my financial life. Keep up the good work.

Online banking also

1 Like

So if I was to cancel yesterday, I would’ve been charged £5 cancellation fee

Cancelling first thing this morning and I didn’t get a full month’s refund although I lost access instantly

It’s 16p but it’s the principle of it

3 Likes

I lost out on 16p too. 16p is a fair pro rata charge for a day, but it’s scummy to charge that if you cancel first thing in the morning on renewal day and lose the features immediately. Annoys me, like a lot of Monzo’s recent changes, more than it probably should.

8 Likes

I think it’s petty.

I bought EA access to play Fifa early, £4.99 for a month. I bought it about 3 weeks ago now.

I set a reminder when I did it to cancel it so I didn’t get charged a second month. I cancelled it yesterday and they gave me two options;

Cancel at end of billing period - No refund
Cancel and lose access now - £4.99 refund

So they’ve given me it all back even though I’ve used it for 3 weeks. I think that’s probably a bit over-generous, but within a few days Monzo should give you back £5, especially if they would penalise you yesterday.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind if they charged £0.16 tomorrow because at that point I would’ve had full use of Plus for a day. But charging for a full day at 7am and removing access instantly? It may be that my patience is wearing thin with Monzo shenanigans but I had to drop a chat message about it. Will report back

Also, not sure if I’ll get my interest (accrued so far) at the end of the month, or if that’s lost to cancelling Plus? Or if I would get it but didn’t earn any?

6 Likes

No doubt this will result in a complaint being filed, and the customer advocacy team throwing £20 at you to make you go away.

Thus wiping out any profit made from you and probably one more Monzo Plus customer since it launched.

:man_facepalming:

Edit: Facepalm directed at Monzo, for clarity’s sake

I wouldn’t mind that at all. It would hopefully help raise awareness internally that many processes with Plus aren’t actually as polished as they probably like to think. And I want to believe it would lead to Monzo reassessing and focusing some more effort into Plus

1 Like

Any interest you’ve accrued whilst signed up to Plus will get paid out at the end of the month, similarly if you signed up for Plus again it would start adding interest on top of the interest you’ve already accrued this month

2 Likes

Let’s say Monzo drop a new feature or improvement in the next few weeks, and I decide to sign up again, does my current plus card still get cancelled after these 2 weeks, and have to receive another following the coral replacement? Or would you just allow the current holographic card to continue working?

2 Likes

I dropped Nutmeg a message the other day about the friction they were putting into letting me transfer elsewhere. My main point was that the easier it is to leave the more likely I’ll be to stay.

While Monzo seems to make it relatively easy to cancel, the absence of a “let it run until the end of the month then elegantly cancel” option is a bit of a shame.

And the 16p fee seems a bit petty. But in that spirit, I think I’ll wait until late this evening to cancel. :pensive:

8 Likes

I contacted support and they told me this fee is because Monzo is calculating refunds based on 31 days and apparently we used one today. If you contact support they should be able to help as there should be no cancellation fee and with the lack of cancel at renewal, they should be able to refund them :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve not yet cancelled, but also did the same check this morning.

It seems bonkers that there’s no way to ‘cleanly’ end your minimum term. I do love that there are no hoops to jump through, but the whole “we’ll charge for the whole month and then reimburse” seems… Curious…

But equally… 16p… :man_shrugging: But it’s the principle darn it!

4 Likes

You were bang on, it’s now with the customer advocacy team. Lots of wasted effort and resources on Monzo’s part for £0.16

1 Like

Devils avocado and all that… But I wonder if this was a conscious choice of

“We could spend £X in resources to make it work this way, which would be more complicated than what we have” vs “We’ll probably spend less in complaints if we leave it this way”.

Given that the Monzo Plus payment is some ‘special’ payment type (i.e. it’s not a card transaction), I wonder if it needs a special way of processing, and therefore these problems pop out of it?

1 Like

The weird thing here is, I checked just after midnight, about cancelling, and got offered the £5 cancellation fee. I know that this is because we’re UTC+1, but then being charged for cancelling on the day, and the day before is a bit annoying really.

It’s now made me think oh well, I’ll just cancel the day before my next billing cycle.

This is why services should offer the option to cancel immediately, or before renewal :frowning_face:

3 Likes