Monzo Plus: The Big Poll

One thing I’ve noticed differently this time around - Monzo have definitely upped the amount of Marketing behind it - and I think done a better job of getting the word out this time around.

Are there adverts? Or where have you seen signs of this?

On their Instragram and Twitter feeds - they’re dropping in a fair few posts talking about the features.

Not sure wether they are using those posts as paid-for ads / promoted spots or whatever - but they’re certainly talking about it more actively (and in a more polished manner) on Social Media than I saw on Old Plus

I expect this is expected behaviour, but interesting nonetheless.

Amazon won’t let me use my Monzo Virtual Card when using their “split this purchase over 5 months”. Physical debit card works fine as does credit cards.

I wouldn’t call myself a fan, exactly, but what’s the question?

1 Like

Welcome to our community!

Nice positive first interaction

5 Likes

And a bizarre choice of topic to share that thought on.

The below is more fitting. Also… a friendly reminder that criticism is welcomed but try to make it constructive :+1:

3 Likes

It will be amazing if we can get like more regular updates on Monzo Plus and what the team are developing or planning to add to the Monzo plus package.

2 Likes

I think everyone would like that, but it’s a bit of a dangerous path, as proven by previous Plus.

The team shared a lot of things they were working on, and people signed up expecting those things to come soon.

When they didn’t, there was a lot of unnecessary drama.

1 Like

You got a point there mate. It worked really well with the big list during current account period. It’s kept the momentum going .

1 Like

They tried regular updates and there were a bit of a disaster. They lacked substance.

Also, they might not be working on anything right now… The product has been released and people can take it or leave it.

Product released doesn’t mean product finished. Monzo have a track record of releasing MVPs then never iterating on them. With a free bank account that might be ok, but with a paid product customers will want to see more features added, even if that is just the list of banks and actions being expanded

2 Likes

Could Amazon be running on an out of date BIN list? Does it work for other Amazon things?

Just cancelled my Plus sub. I’d be willing to pay for this kind of functionality, but just not with the Monzo UI UX, which I find clunky and patronising.

The straw that broke the camel was a notification telling me my credit score had updated.

Paid a £5 cancellation fee but also had a refund on unused Month 2 of £4.84, so one month of Plus has seemingly cost me 16p.

Blue card will cease working in two weeks and I’ve had to order another Hot Coral replacement.

Opportunity to feedback why I cancelled, which was nice, but Monzo just isn’t the bank for me I’m afraid. I can’t reconcile how badly the last 9 months have been for it, whilst Starling has improved, added jobs and is well on the way to becoming profitable.

A nice experiment. Just not for me.

1 Like

I am willing to stick with it for the (essentially) three free months and try to make Monzo work one last time. I have been feeling majorly disappointed with their approach to things and lack of progress for the past year and can only echo what you said. But unless they pull their finger out and add more/better features to Plus and the current account, I’ll have to switch my main account away

1 Like

Yeah, definitely not a fan of that. The carousel notification in app is okay, notifications not.

Was meaning to have a poke to see if there is a toggle. Have I mentioned I’m a fan of toggles?

5 Likes

I agree, a carousel item would be fine. I fed that back in my ‘exit interview’.

Found myself in the weird situation today being told by the Monzo app that my score is excellent and that I should get the best borrowing rates, whilst Monzo itself won’t lend to me.

4 Likes

Toggles and polls?

It’s telling me my score plummeted but I get so little context for why or what changed that it’s useless. It takes just a little longer to log on to Credit Karma and see a fuller picture of the same there

It has my latest score, which has changed within the life of my remortgage, but it seems to think I don’t have a mortgage, so I’m not sure how the data is updated.

I’m not a fan of the credit score in Monzo, I don’t think.

It doesn’t add anything extra to the other sources out there (in fact it provides less information) and it conflates Monzo credit scoring with the fictitious TU model.

I’d be happier with the raw data (from all credit reference agencies), a nice Monzo-esque feed of accounts and balances (maybe on the accounts screen) or something that tied in closer with Monzo credit scoring.

Like so much, the possibilities are great but the execution is basic. Okay for the first iteration but as we’ve repeatedly observed there’s never really a substantial second, let alone consistent improvement.

4 Likes