Monzo Plus - Small Scale Trial

That’s actually a pointless statement, how many people travel every month and will use the extra £200 a month, very few people would. Most people at most will go on a couple of holidays a year, some might go abroad every other month, but very few go away every month. So very few would be paying the £6 a month you quote.

Lots of banks provide access to your own money in an Emergency for no fee, so that’s not an extra feature that is new or special.

2 Likes

just a quick point the era of MVP(Minimum Viable Product) is gone.


The movement with design space at the moment is to focus on the Minimum Awesome Product.

I pay £14 a month for *everything. The best thing is that it’s just £25 & £50 excess.

*everything being things of **high value in the home.
**mainly electronics

Is that with £10,000 of contents?

I have my home insurance with contents covered including accidental damage and cover away from home. I just don’t fancy making claims on it for mobile phones as it will inevitably lead to higher premiums.

Just posting my old comment in here, I still think that if this made economical and logistical sense to Monzo, it would be a game changer.

Also, I’m pretty shocked that people are not requesting a metal card? :joy:
I like the midnight colour but not overly keen on the lagoon blue. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Adam,

I’m sorry this has happened, thanks for raising it. I’ll DM you now to fix it and see what we can do better to avoid this from happening in future.

Samantha

2 Likes

Same here, I always thought that other cards would have used other fluorescent colours but realistically, Transferwise uses a fluorescent green and Starling a fluorescent blue. :tired_face:

I fully agree: there are lots and lots of people for whom the £11/month account is not good value for money. I’m one of them. But for the people that do want to use their Monzo card to go abroad every month to withdraw £400+ and who do want Pluto travel insurance? This account is for them. We are not them, and that is OK.

4 Likes

You are right! :slight_smile:

Think there should be a base level plus account for say £3-5 where you can get different card, monzo me link, a higher abroad withdrawal plus some thing else like cashback on utility bills. Then anything else should be pick and mix as everyone’s needs will be different.

1 Like

Yes! :raised_hands:t3:
I just want to build my own package, if it’s a couple of £ more expensive I wouldn’t mind as far as it’s bespoke to me.

4 Likes

One thing i noticed with the travel insurance and also when i looked on Pluto directly is there seems to be no way to add my wife onto the policy or even kids for those that have them. Unless they are default included in the policy small print which i cant be bothered to read.

• metal card
• phone insurance

Two features that could tempt me to pay annual fees with a bank.

5 Likes

And the insurance needs to be bespoke so people can add things like winter sports and make sure their family are covered.

I would say for people taking money out abroad every month that Starling would be the account for them rather then Monzo Plus. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

One thing you do notice, everyone liking it, or talking about how its ok but needs to be improved, all have the investors badge. I know as an investor you want Monzo to do well, but don’t just knock everyone else for thinking its worthless value in its current form.

As an investor logically you want Monzo to make money, and if that includes ripping people off, so what, if you make a profit.

That’s a very poor and silly view.

This offering is not worth it, and no one has yet come along and proved it is.

2 Likes

I would pay for a metal card that is both a Monzo credit, and Monzo debit card. That way I can consolidate to one card without losing Section 75 protection for larger purchases.

By the same logic, if investors truly felt it wasn’t a good offering, they’d be the ones shouting loudest about it as they have more to lose.

We have tens of thousands of investors, so we should try and avoid making sweeping generalisations.

19 Likes

I don’t see your logic ? Logically you want to give out the least for the highest cost. To get the most return.

It’s also not a sweeping generalisation, the majority in this thread liking it are investors, That’s clear for everyone to see.

But I’ll not comment negatively about Monzo on the Monzo forums in future, lets keep it all pro Monzo.

I’m not asking you to not comment negatively, I’m simply disagreeing with your point.

Ripping people off is not, never has been, and never will be our business model. If that were the case, we wouldn’t be so dedicated to radical transparency. We tell our user base everything we can (unless there’s a strong case not to, or we can’t due to third party agreements).

Therefore, if investors felt something we were doing wouldn’t work, or would hurt our image, they’d be (and they are) the first to tell us.
We’ve seen that in action - over and over again. It’s actually quite clear to us that some of our most critical users are also investors - there’s a big overlap. They give us the most suggestions, the most clear critical feedback, and the most guidance in shaping our product and we’re very grateful for that :slight_smile:

34 Likes