Monzo Plus - Small Scale Trial

Not quite - they were profitable at one point, but then chose to expand internationally, which made them loss-making again.

More than that, the people on this thread appear to be 72 users commenting on something that most of us havenā€™t actually been offered. We may not have been offered it for a reason such that all those saying theyā€™d never use it are, in fact, confirming the selection algorithm.

Just my opinion but then thatā€™s all most of the rest of this discussion is anyway!

8 Likes

My understanding is less than 0.1% of our customer base are currently seeing this in the app, just for some additional context.

18 Likes

They canā€™t test their assumptions with no users.
Itā€™s a trial / test now.

2 Likes

Update here:

6 Likes

@Jackcrwhitney You beat me to it! :slight_smile:

Thank you all so much for your feedback - this is super helpful to shape our approach to Monzo Plus. :+1:Please have a look at my update on this that Jack has just reposted!

On a separate note, there were several questions regarding the incentives following the user research interview. I am really sorry for the delay with this - I have now followed up with our Finance team to check why the Ā£30 incentives have been delayed. Iā€™ll reach out to everyone who took part in the research separately today :+1:

15 Likes

Iā€™m with the 99.9% for now - but looking forward to how this develops.

I still have a legacy HSBC account with an active Travel insurance, Mobile insurance and Roadside Breakdown/Assistance - for Ā£9.95 per month. Iā€™ve been looking to ditch this for cheaper alternativesā€¦ Seems like there may not be any.

In the many years Iā€™ve had this cover, Iā€™ve claimed on Travel Insurance once (Daughter had a minor accident abroad) and the Roadside Assistance once (cam belts decided theyā€™d had enough - ouch). But it has been very simple and effective to get the help when it was needed. It does give a surprising amount of peace-of-mind.

1 Like

Interesting update, thanks for the official word on it. Hope the 1% are able to give you some credible insight into how people look to use it. :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s actually a pointless statement, how many people travel every month and will use the extra Ā£200 a month, very few people would. Most people at most will go on a couple of holidays a year, some might go abroad every other month, but very few go away every month. So very few would be paying the Ā£6 a month you quote.

Lots of banks provide access to your own money in an Emergency for no fee, so thatā€™s not an extra feature that is new or special.

2 Likes

just a quick point the era of MVP(Minimum Viable Product) is gone.

The movement with design space at the moment is to focus on the Minimum Awesome Product.

I pay Ā£14 a month for *everything. The best thing is that itā€™s just Ā£25 & Ā£50 excess.

*everything being things of **high value in the home.
**mainly electronics

Is that with Ā£10,000 of contents?

I have my home insurance with contents covered including accidental damage and cover away from home. I just donā€™t fancy making claims on it for mobile phones as it will inevitably lead to higher premiums.

Just posting my old comment in here, I still think that if this made economical and logistical sense to Monzo, it would be a game changer.

Also, Iā€™m pretty shocked that people are not requesting a metal card? :joy:
I like the midnight colour but not overly keen on the lagoon blue. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Adam,

Iā€™m sorry this has happened, thanks for raising it. Iā€™ll DM you now to fix it and see what we can do better to avoid this from happening in future.

Samantha

2 Likes

Same here, I always thought that other cards would have used other fluorescent colours but realistically, Transferwise uses a fluorescent green and Starling a fluorescent blue. :tired_face:

I fully agree: there are lots and lots of people for whom the Ā£11/month account is not good value for money. Iā€™m one of them. But for the people that do want to use their Monzo card to go abroad every month to withdraw Ā£400+ and who do want Pluto travel insurance? This account is for them. We are not them, and that is OK.

4 Likes

Teal.

3 Likes

I quite like the concept of Monzo Plus. This preview is a bit underwhelming though.

Hopefully the final offering will be a bit more attractive.

2 Likes

You are right! :slight_smile:

Think there should be a base level plus account for say Ā£3-5 where you can get different card, monzo me link, a higher abroad withdrawal plus some thing else like cashback on utility bills. Then anything else should be pick and mix as everyoneā€™s needs will be different.

1 Like