Monzo Plus - Bi-Weekly Update 28th November 2019

Monzo back to basics current account (B2B on card)
Monzo unique current account (unique on card)
Monzo unique platinum current account (unique platinum on card)

This is going to sound negative, and in a way, it is - But it’s not for want of trying.

We were shot down in the last thread for thinking Monzo Plus V3 was going to follow the same failure as the previous iterations of it (despite there being some good justification I may add).

Yet, simultaneously, we were told that the Plus team would be willing to field questions, and answer where they can…

Unless I’ve missed it, the Plus team haven’t answered a single question or concern, other than post a bi-weekly updates with little to no serious information.

I’ll add at this point, I’m not advocating that they should be pumping out serious updates to the community on a weekly basis. But I’d personally rather see nothing, and then be presented with 99% of the finished article that was based on Monzo’s research and design choices. Again… this is a person opinion, and I’m sure others will disagree.

But this week, we are asked to name 3 accounts, which we have absolutely no information on (and Monzo know this), and it just feels like a distraction to “keep the community happy” - No doubt we’ll have a blog post about how the community were thoroughly involved in the development of Monzo Plus when it finally launches…

The obvious “paywalling” definition has been well discussed in previous comments, and they are all very true - Unless Monzo are somehow using a different definition to the rest of the world, it’s a little concerning.

Appreciate this is purely one mans opinion, and I don’t expect anything to change, but it’s been a thoroughly disappointing process so far, which has followed two very poor attempts in the first place.

36 Likes

Your account has been downgraded to :monzo: Monzo Minus

12 Likes

Agree completely,

The cynic in me thinks it’s becoming some form of ‘managed ghosting’ of some kind. I wouldn’t be surprised if updates become fewer/more sparse as time goes on until we get to a launch.

And that’s not a bad thing per se.

I just don’t think that Monzo actually want inputs on any meaningful aspects of this work.

I can’t even imagine that Monzo haven’t got names and branding in mind all ready. This sort of stuff is the thing that gets researched to death before a product is launched. I kind of think they’ll have a short list and are looking out for those names in this thread.

Eitherway… :person_shrugging:

11 Likes

YES these are good names or similar

Monzo Standard Currenet Account
Monzo Plus Current Account
Monzo Exclusive/ Premier/ Ultimate Current Account

Maybe they’re going with the “Monzo Premium” name. It just appeared in the 3.10v Android teardown:

https://community.monzo.com/t/monzo-for-android-teardowns-deep-dives/58518/547

3 Likes

Admin please close thread.

Maybe Monzo are going to name the accounts first, then base the features around the name? A bit like a songwriter who pens the tune before the lyrics

It is quite stunning how mis-managed v1, v2 were, and now v3 is becoming. Do they hire project managers with industry experience? Or ANY experience of projects which actually went live and were a success?

1 Like

A couple of months ago they claimed it was 80% decided on features IIRC!

I’m actually surprised someone hasn’t come up with something non coloured but Coral themed

Monzo Coral (Hot Coral)
Monzo Coral Reef (who knows what colour this could be)
Monzo Coral Sea (Blue obvs)
Monzo Coral Beach (Yellow)
Monzo Coral Island (Green?)

All real places btw

5 Likes

If I cancelled my monzo plus now would I still be offered the new one? If it ever arrives

So are we being asked to come up with ideas for Monzo to use when they already have these?

Edit: for clarity these are placeholders apparently.

:monzocard: Monzo

:credit_card: Monzo Premium

:credit_card: Monzo Metal

9 Likes

Where did you see that?

<string name="profile_get_premium">Get Monzo Premium</string> 

Oh right…seems like a waste of time now. Lovely

i presumed they were only placeholders

Awhile ago they did metal tests too…

2 Likes

Yeah I see that one…tbh I love monzo, would just love more insight and when it’ll be released

simonb replying… :eyes: