Monzo office in Las Vegas

America based COps. Hmm :thinking: just hope they will be using British spellings not American spellings :joy:

3 Likes

Yep. Totally agree. If they are serving UK customers they should use our language, British English. Whereas when serving US customers (once Monzo launch there) I would hope they use their American English with them.

I donā€™t care as long as I understand it :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Hopefully this office will be one of many servicing a global customer base of a billionā€¦Monzo is seeking global growth not just UK

Good, but lets get it right here in the UK before they roll it out elsewhere

1 Like

Fair point letā€™s see how the latest round of capital is deployed and how Monzo move from an MVP app and scale growth

Technically, most ā€˜Americanā€™ spellings are also British. Words ending in -ized, for example are Oxford spellings. Likewise, soccer is an Oxford word. I still hate them, just pointing out the Americans didnā€™t even invent most American spellings.

I disagree. There should be one common style guide, if anything. Forcing COps to follow two style guides is only going to lead to confusion. Though personally, I prefer nothingā€¦ itā€™s nice when COps can show their own personality and word choice. I will say, for words with a correct, according to governing bodies, spelling/word, the correct choice should be used. That may be ā€˜Britishā€™ or ā€˜Americanā€™. For example, aluminium and sulfur are correct, not aluminum and sulphur.

2 Likes

I only have one response to this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wSw3IWRJa0

Technically not spelling but you get what I mean haha.
:rofl:

2 Likes

The Hot Coral color is my favorite :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

At least with Monzoā€™s device of choice seeming to be MacBooks, itā€™s easily fixed:

Still annoys me that they donā€™t seem to use local languages at the OS Level anymore, Windows and OS X are both guilty of this, see ā€˜periodā€™ above.

1 Like

Windows is heavily localised for en-GB. macOS, not so much, but still localised some. I donā€™t know if that screen is.

1 Like

I personally prefer the US spelling despite never being there (and no plans of going there either). Ā« Colour Ā» just feels wrong.

No, color doesā€¦ it doesnā€™t look at all like the pronunciation, and itā€™s justā€¦ ugly. :slight_smile:

(P.S. since sarcasm doesnā€™t come across too well online, Iā€™m mostly joking. Mostly, I donā€™t like -or and -ize spellings because I think they look harsh. But I also donā€™t actually want to see a prescriptive style guide given to COps, as long as they can reasonably defend their word choice, punctuation and grammar; Iā€™d rather see good, quality English in the personā€™s own natural style and tone)

P.P.S. Yes, this can lead to trouble, too, but I think the personality and character Monzo can bring far outweighs the polish of having prescriptive style guides, scripts, etc. I donā€™t want a future where Iā€™m talking to a purple chatbot.

3 Likes

Hi Monzo team,

Iā€™m looking forward to learning more details about the Las Vegas office, such as:

1. When will the office be open?
  2. Where in the city will the office be located?

Iā€™d very much appreciate it if Monzo could share these and additional details with the community as they are developed.

All the best and welcome to Las Vegas! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Ben! A lot of the details are still being worked out, but we hope to have more information to share over the next few weeks :grinning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.