Monzo now worth £1 billion

I think that this is great news, however I am curious as to the long term business plan to make the company profitable (considering current accounts generally cost more to run than they generate in revenue). Is this in the investment documentation or dealt with elsewhere?

We haven’t seen the investment documentation (because it’s not public sadly) although we can expect to see something as part of a new crowd funding round.

You might be interested in watching the video of last night’s open office, though, which dealt with just this subject.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give that a watch!

1 Like

“weaned off debit card topups” - I like that!

The valuation sounds like part of a bubble to me, same as Revolut.

1 Like

Congrats to the Monzo team! Any huge thanks for your project!

If overvalued, it will take an age for the cash value to catch up, so you may be holding on for an IPO for a while.
Much will depend on whether Monzo can break through into being a platform company, rather than a product (current account) company, so it’s all heavily predicated on the marketplace working out.

I was just about to say, probably a good point for someone from monzo to jump in and remind everyone it’s not a guaranteed :field_hockey:… one can lose money investing. Though the force seems very strong with this one

2 Likes

We’re super aware that we’re not there yet - and continue to work super hard :muscle:

We want to be that puck - in the famous words of Tom Blom himself.

6 Likes

I’m not from Monzo, but here’s one I prepared earlier:

#bluepeteremoji

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.