Monzo.me

Hugo you better find a way to enable it for android users automatically when you release it :sunglasses:

2 Likes

well your name clearly has no accents (as some systems convert say ö to oe, ä to ae, etc) so I have no other ideas why it not working

As Hugo said, we haven’t actually released the feature yet, so please don’t worry too much if things aren’t working, what you’re seeing right now is just part of the functionality and until we actually make an official announcement and ship the actual app update that includes it, then you should probably expect to see a bug or two, or for things to change.

Not much longer, we promise!

3 Likes

Completely understandable of course :slightly_smiling_face:

Any chance I can request a custom name via support please?
I’m planning to use this as a link I’ll send for payments online when selling, items of £100 and under obviously, and I’d rather not share my full name around everywhere. I try to keep fairly anonymous and my combination of names probably isn’t that common.

4 Likes

You’re getting close to a business use case there so I just thought mention a couple of things, in case anyone’s thinking of using their Monzo.me for business (even if you’re not)…

There’s a couple of problems with people using Monzo.me for business would cause / run into -

• Monzo doesn’t plan to offer business accounts
  • Monzo has to pay a fee to accept card payments so lots of transactions (business volumes) would be expensive for Monzo, as it’s not passing the cost onto card users
  • You’d be in danger of hitting the £3,750 daily, 5k monthly or 60k annual top up limits

Having said that, since Hugo’s mentioned that usernames will be available in the future, I’d hope that Monzo could set you up with a custom name now :slight_smile:

1 Like

A quick note about Android support for those interested :slight_smile:

We won’t have all the beautiful UI in-app @hugo has shown above (yet) but you’ll be able to use Monzo.me still. Once we ship payments on Android (very, very soon ;)) and you enable them, your Monzo.me page should work automatically so you’ll just need to work out what your username is and the syntax of the link (as has been done above!) I’ll post full instructions when we launch it for Android users and I’ve tested that this theory works!

And don’t worry, Monzo.me support on Android is coming too! I’ll add it to the roadmap as soon as we launch it publicly :tada:

3 Likes

I’m assuming that this will be moot once Monzo isn’t using pre-paid debit cards anymore?

1 Like

Possibly but this is an anti-fraud measure so there may still be some limits (although they’ll be higher), as I’m guessing that the identity verification process will be the same for current accounts & debit cards, unless a user applies for an overdraft.

1 Like

Looks like we got more than a sneak peak with this @hugo! Love the feature

If I can make that amount selling my records online then I’ll be a happy man. My Wife would be very happy as my records will be gone and we’ll have a significant amount of the mortgage paid off.

Sadly, I don’t think there’s much call for this record to sell for a high price…

Edit: Paging @HoddzDJ, if you’re a vinyl man.

4 Likes

How much you want for your Bartman?

2 Likes

This could turn into a bidding war. Need this in my life.

1 Like

Tristan release the P2P Payments and then I should Suggest that the next feature you should work on is custom profile page like iOS on Android. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

If you’re genuinely both interested I’m happy to take a few pics and let you both make an offer over PM.

1 Like

You’d be surprised re: Bartman. It was produced and written by Bryan Loren, who was a musician in Michael Jackson’s team. Some years ago I picked up an expanded release of Bryan’s own debut album which is an underground soul classic containing the excellent track “Lollipop Luv”.

Legend had it that MJ himself wrote Bartman, but it was definitely Bryan, although I believe MJ did the backing vocals.

But I digress… haha.

6 Likes

Outstanding bit of trivia. Love it.

Just to keep everything linked together, here’s the limits for using Monzo.me (which would prevent it from being suitable for business use).

Just given this quick go and my 2 bits of feedback I would like to put out there:

1. I can’t add a note once the payment has been received! :frowning:

2. As Monzo captures the users e-mail, it would be nice to feed that into my phone and then for the app to look at my contacts and see if I have a contact that matches, then to pull in that persons contact name :slight_smile:

Otherwise, works pretty flawlessly. :slight_smile: I imagine once bill splitting comes out, the app could fire out a number of links to my friends to collect the money :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love this new feature :heart:

It’s also great to have another way to top up my own account - since I’ve had trouble in the past with my other bank declinining top ups.

1 Like