Monzo Labs: Pay anyone by text or email

(Adam Kendrew) #201

Just to try out the feature really! She even asked why I didn’t just send it to her Monzo.

(Paul G) #202

I agree… the fact the payment shows as pending in the feed despite not actually selecting a contact is annoying. Could also be confusing… my feed says I have a payment pending, but I didn’t even complete the transaction.

(Albert) #204

This is annoying but something we don’t have a good solution for. One of the ways you can share the link is to just copy paste it. There’s no way we can tell what you did with it after copying it, or for that matter what happened to the link once you pressed share to Whatsapp. You might cancel the flow after sharing and we’d never know. Cancelling is coming, but it will still be a manual step.

(Kieran) #205

Any idea when this is going live?

(Rob) #206

I feel this needs to come before the feature moves out of labs into the mainstream.

(Robin Bilgil) #207

Yes we definitely plan to have cancel before the wider rollout :slight_smile:

(Robin Bilgil) #208

We’ve deployed the changes to the website as discussed above! Please help us test and let us know your feedback :pray:

(Tomi Novak) #209

Tried this feature today and it worked great! - Such a useful thing to have for small payments.

The only new ‘bug’ I’ve noticed was that if the native Android sharing prompt is closed when in the process of sharing the link (by clicking ‘cancel’ as opposed to clicking into of the apps such as What’s App or Messenger) then the success message still appears.

I’m guessing this is because the Mozo app has no ability/permission to determine how far I went in the flow of sharing the link, and so the success message is simply shown when the prompt is closed assuming a successful share.

While I don’t necessarily consider this to be a major bug, I had initially thought that I miss-clicked on the cancel button and accidentally sent the link to someone (as Android 9 has buttons for one-click sharing for commonly used contacts in commonly used apps that come up in the sharing prompt)

As it did for me, I think this false positive confirmation could potentially make users worry that they sent their link to the wrong person who can now claim their money.

Overall the process went very smoothly and was intuitive, easy and quick to use! :+1:

(Martin Jones) #210

Anybody know if a person signs up through this method ie i send them a payment and they sign up through link it shows are your personalrecruit

I know that recruiters dont get a benefit at the moment, but Id like to think, Monzo may in the future reward people for signing so my people up and even have a leaderboard of people who actively recruit new members as an incentive, maybe Monzo throw a party for the top 100 recruiters and me for suggesting the idea :yum:

(Aaron Price) #211

I don’t know if anyone has suggested this already, but I’d like to see the pending payment at the top of my feed maybe a new pending section before today until it gets paid when it becomes a real transaction.

(Ben Hadfield) #212

Hey,
I just used the pay by text feature and want to report a possible bug (or at least bad UX). After entering the amount you want to send and your card’s PIN you get a button to share the link. I selected share by text but then changed my mind and clicked cancel expecting to be able to select a different way to send the link but instead I got the success screen (even tho no link had been shared). This is slightly concerning because there is also no way to cancel the payment link.

I love the feature BTW! Just wanted to share this pain point I had.

Keep up the good work <3

Ben

(Kieran) #213

You can cancel the link by contacting support :slight_smile:

(Jack) #214

There’s no need to cancel it if you never sent it to anyone. It automatically expires after 7 days.

They are randomly generated so no one will be able to guess it.

Also hope you don’t mind but I moved your post to join the others in Monzo Labs. Hopefully this can be taken on board before it’s rolled out :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this is a bug or not, but I’ve had a contact accept the payment request some time ago, but the pending item is still showing in the feed.

App Version 2.30.0 (updated today)

(Simon) #216

Worked great for me and a very handy feature.:slight_smile:

(Jemima) #217

This is such an innovative addition to the app :grinning: I love it. It was very quick & easy to use & my friend (non Monzo but I’m working on it :yum:) also found it very easy to get the money I owed/sent her by text.

(Robin Bilgil) #218

Hi @WildlyWaving, unfortunately there was a temporary bug on payments created on the first couple of days of January that prevented the feed item from being deleted. If you contact customer support they should be able to get this removed for you. Sorry about that, we fixed the bug as soon as we discovered the issue, but haven’t retroactively deleted these for people.

thanks for getting back to me, great to know you guys are on it!

(Jordan Clarke) #220

My dad looked at the link and said “well that looks like a scam”

Any chance of cleaning the link up? :blush:

(Peter Roberts) #221

The link doesn’t look like a scam if you understand it on a technical level but this is a big education problem that browser and internet security people have had for a while. It’s why we put all those green padlocks there!

The bit of these links that looks like a scam is also the part of it that stops someone else nabbing your cash easily :thinking: