Monzo Labs: Android Biometric Prompt (Face Unlock!)

Looking good on my Pixel 4, thanks for pushing this to labs! I’d also prefer not to have to confirm after unlocking for what it’s worth. :slight_smile:

I’m seeing a lot of people ITT ignoring your point about camera based face unlocking not being secure enough for biometrics (though I don’t know when that edit was made). If your phone has a fingerprint scanner then that’s likely to the only form of biometrics available to you. As far as I’m aware only the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL supports proper biometric face unlock on Android right now.

3 Likes

On my Pixel XL 3 it kept reporting Server Error while trying to send money with the option enabled. The biometric prompt should work, even though the functionality is the same as app prompt.

Disabled it (had to restart app for slider to take) , then transfer worked.

Doesn’t seem to work on OnePlus 7 Pro 5G

Is this relevant? (Sorry, iOS only here.)

1 Like

Hi folks! Little update from my side.

I’ve fixed the annoying white background staying up, but it might take a while to reach your devices as I have just missed this week’s release.

I’ve also changed some of the wording to make it clearer that this will not let you authorise payments using a front-facing camera alone. It means that we’ll let you approve things using other methods than just a fingerprint, but your phone will still need to support Google-supported method of face biometric authentication.

In other words: not all ‘Face unlock’ methods are equal!

OnePlus, Huawei and some Samsung devices might allow you to go pass the phone’s lockscreen with just a selfie camera, however that’s not deemed secure enough and is not made available by Google as an authentication method to us.

On top of that, there are some devices that do in fact have the dedicated hardware, but Google has deemed their implementation not compatible or not satisfactory enough, and are banned from providing authentication. You can find the list here.

This is Android only :smile: y’all are sorted with FaceID in iOS-land

Interesting! Did you restart the app before trying to send money? Are you able to reproduce it?

5 Likes

I did restart.

Not tried since turning it off again, but did try a few restarts with it enabled to no avail.

So excited to see this my Pixel 4 should be with me in the next few days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just started using this on my new Galaxy A70, thanks Monzo :slight_smile:

Doesn’t seem to be working on the Pixel 4. I’ve restarted the app and no joy so far. From what I can see it’s not biometric unlock for the app but just payments? I test sending money also and it’s not currently working.

Looks like there might be a slight UI Bug, on the Pixel 4 I still get “confirm your fingerprint” when adding a Google Pay card.

Some Feedback

Is this going to allow Signin Via Face Unlock? I hope so as I thought this would work if enabled.

When cancelling - I get stuck with a white screen. But can see youve fixed that so unless you want some screenshots - Ignore me :slight_smile:

Pixel 4 XL

Doesn’t work with Huawie Mate 20pro. Real shame because I consistency get locked out of my app because my finger print fails to read 4-5 times in a row! I’ve tried redoing the finger print scanning and it’s always a problem.
Works 1st time to unlock my phone but when unlocking monzo when I open the app its always a problem :thinking:

I do not have biometrics or Android 10 on my phone (Moto G6 Plus), but thought I’d give it a crack

Do still see a change from:

to:

Is that something I will see in time in other apps as well, I wonder

I’ve just enables this in-app and tried closing the app through the app switcher, force stopping in App Info and even restarted my phone but I’m still promoted for PINs and not biometric for getting my card number, moving money between my personal and joint accounts, and adding to Google pay. This is on a Pixel 4 with unlock apps and payments enabled in my phone’s settings.

Hi all! New round of replies :smile:

Fingerprint is a kind of biometrics! What you get is indeed the new UI appearance.

Enabling this labs feature just changes the underlying mechanism, you still have to go to the app settings and enable biometric authorisation there if you want to use it.

No, that’s a separate kind of work that needs to happen. This is to authorise payments.

Whoops :see_no_evil:

I guess the confusion comes from Google calling the whole thing “Face Unlock” but we are actually not unlocking anything other than payments :thinking:

2 Likes

Indeed it is. Loose language on my part. I was trying and failing to mean the new Android biometrics around face unlocking and the like. Derp

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

:man_facepalming: Of course - I had assumed it was on as it was on my old phone! All seems to be working now :tada:

1 Like

@guille please add this to the app unlock, non of my other banking apps allow you to login without biometric authentication.

Hi, welcome to the community,

You can turn on biometrics to unlock the app in settings.

Ive got this on and my face recognition is not working, fp only. Yes Ive restarted the App. Samsung A50, A Pie. Latest version of the App.