Monzo in the media

High rents inhibit their ability to save and house price inflation locks more people out of homeownership.

Using Generation Home, parents can contribute …

… to the growing problem of over inflated house prices by allowing people to ask for higher and higher sale prices because now more people can get involved in the purchase, therefore making the problem even worse!

Soon we hope to enable people to charge such high amounts for house sales that whole communities and entire families will have to get together to pool their money to buy a 1 bed flat for £300,000,000.

4 Likes

I hope they don’t need a large deposit transfer from a Monzo account :thinking:

7 Likes

Tom B was a wealthy guy from a wealthy family even pre-Monzo.

I don’t think he understands normal people and the struggles with this kind of thing.

And now he’s a multi-millionaire of course, he really wouldn’t understand the struggle so many of us go through in this area…

3 Likes

you know, just a thought but I doubt he has gained much spendable wealth at this point from Monzo. He mentioned a few times he didn’t pay himself a big salary.

His shares will be worth a lot on paper but of course he can’t spend those yet and I doubt he could borrow against them either given the uncertainty/ risk.

Not to say we should have a whip round or anything, I’m sure he’s doing okay but if he is driving rare ferraris around it’s not from Monzo money yet.

1 Like

I once deliberately mispronounced Jill Dando’s name as Jan Dildo for comedic hilarity, and now I struggle to say it properly without stopping to think about it.

True - The Ferrari is from his parents.

This said he made £2.6m from selling shares to investors on top of any salary https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/monzo-bosses-share-millions-from-sales-s9v89cm8v

2 Likes

very easy for someone like him to take out significant loans against his stock. super common way of releasing equity and also tax efficient.

1 Like

Guy spends the money he has earned.

I’ve done a news headline :smiley:

5 Likes

Loans against FTSE 100 stock sure, but I don’t think Monzo stock is secure enough for anyone to loan on it. If they did the interest rate would be sky high.

1 Like

I think in Tom’s case the worth of his holding in GoCardless is plenty enough to secure him financially, let alone Monzo

2 Likes

Okay, I think it is probably time to move it on from one particular individual as the Code of Conduct for the forum is not supportive of singling any one individual out for discussion in such fashion

1 Like

Sure this is a Monzo card.

8 Likes

Sure looks like it!

Unless there are any other pinkish red cards out there with a white logo on the top right and a contactless symbol right next to the chip. :thinking:

1 Like
5 Likes

Woah :exploding_head:

2 Likes

43 posts were split to a new topic: Packfleet Discussion

8 Likes

Great read, thanks for sharing

3 Likes

Ah the great paywall :joy:

2 Likes

Lots of “innocent” people in that article but not one has a bank admitting it made a mistake and re-opening the account.