Monzo in the media

Certainly one of them is as I saw it via his Twitter account

1 Like

It’s weird for a company not to have any social pages, unless I’m just terrible and can’t find them

Looks good! Still not sure about carbon offsetting but if I did it I’d likely go with Luna as it’s local.

that account doesn’t appear to be the business account

Edit: found it, @join_luna

1 Like

Don’t type from memory is my lesson here!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Interesting read but upon hitting “Today that figure is more than half a million users and more than £800 million spent.”, I’m wondering how old this article is?

@cookywook and @hugo sighted!

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: We’re saying goodbye to Tom :cry:

Should probably be a new thread?

There will probably be 6 or 7 new threads about it :grin:

4 Likes

I think this news deserves its own thread, so please join us here:

4 Likes

From globaldata.com

Seems like a fair analysis.

Seems like a stretch of a comparison. From what I can tell Xinja had <40,000 customers and fell at quite an early stage. A lot of startups fail at that stage, but Monzo is way past that.

2 Likes

I was going to say, Xinja was tiny, and the UK/Australia comparisons are a stretch in terms of market, regulation etc etc

1 Like

I today have learnt that you can’t charge for bank accounts in America.

I am not concerned for a Monzos future it will be interesting to see if it breaks profit in the next 12 months

This isn’t analysis at all, it’s just an opinion piece touted by an analytics company.

Where it does try to make an overlap of a failed bank and Monzo isn’t even accurate. The very first comment:

Monzo doesn’t pay above-market deposit rates.

In Xinja’s case, paying above market deposit rates and failing to lend would lead to losses.

In Monzo’s case, they pay less than the BoE rate (currently 0.1%) so deposits are a profitable segment of Monzo’s business, even without lending.

To call this analysis is embarrassing.

Based on no data.

As far as I remember (from the last accounts filing), Monzo generated most of it’s revenue from interchange and central bank deposits. Both of which every customer contributes to.

6 Likes

It’s quite comical really.

Monzo will be the first major UK challenger to face the same fate as Xinja, which was recently forced out of the banking space, unless it changes its approach towards a more sustainable future, says GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company.

Article from GlobalData :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

And yet Monzo is over £100mill in the red, with material concerns about its viability.

Whilst I support Monzo’s innovation, it has struggled consistently to monetise its customers.

Only time will tell if the paid-for accounts strategy was the right one.

1 Like