Monzo in Sweden 🇸🇪 [Discussion]

So I’ve been border-hopping the last couple of days and taken the opportunity to use my Monzo card in Sweden.

Am pleased to report it has worked 100% of the time, including:

• Train ticket vending machines
  • Local cafes and restaurants
  • Tourist attractions

and perhaps more obscurely:

The cashless, contactless buffet trolley on the train. It worked contactless on the attendants strange pocket-calculator device - in the remotest part of the Scandinavian countryside - and thanks to 3 Feel At Home, I knew my coffee was £1.57 before it was even poured

The public conveniences in Malmö :scream: - in case anyone is interested, it’s 10 SEK / 87p

I had a backup card but didn’t need to use it, and still I have no idea what a Swedish Krone or coin looks like in the flesh :slightly_smiling_face:

Travelling with Monzo: Europe
(Nick Humberstone) #2

Travelled to Sweden recently going to Gothenburg, linkoping, and Stockholm. Could use my card everywhere with ease except for the magstripe payments for gothenburgs tram system (although I believe this is fixed now), even then I was only charged about 10p for using my Barclays card instead.

Sweden is basically cashless, and Monzo works perfect here

Interesting fact:

Sweden has the lowest proportion of cash machines in Western Europe with 333 machines per one million inhabitants.

Dec 2016

(Zheng) #4

My friends and I are going on a 4 day trip in Stockholm, Sweden in 2 weeks. Since the currency there is SEK (Krona) instead of GBP, I was thinking of exchanging some cash at a local money exchange before departing.

I was wondering if it will be cheaper instead to use the ATM machines in Stockholm to withdraw the cash with Monzo since the rates are better. Or should I just use Monzo and pay by card whenever possible (might still need some cash in case though)?

(Alex Sherwood) #5

Hey Zheng,

We try to keep the posts about travelling to a certain country in one place, to make it easier for users to find all of the tips in one place so I’ve moved your post here.

Although I can’t be 100% sure, I’m very confident that, that’ll be the better option - you can compare Monzo’s exchange rate with the rate of the local money exchanger’s here though (Monzo don’t add any fees on top of the MasterCard FX rate) -

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/convert-currency.html

That would be the better option for Monzo, as it costs them money when you withdraw cash from a foreign ATM. But I usually withdraw some cash too & also, carry another card, as Monzo’s still in beta.

(Rasa) #6

I also used the card in Sweden. Mostly in restaurants and for buying the tours around the country. Well I also used some cash for public transport and so on.
That was a great trip