Monzo, I really need your help!

Hi Guys,

I know this is a huge ask and very unlikely to get any success however I’ve got somewhat of a nightmare situation presented to me today.

Im a small business owner and HSBC have today closed my Business bank account without any prior communication with myself. Upon ringing HSBC to find out why some payments have bounced and direct debits failed, they told me that I needed to “confirm my details with them” and because I’d not done that, the account has been closed. This account had been open for 10+ years and in daily use as my main business bank account, yet that made no difference. They’ve not rang me, text or sent 1 email about this, of which HSBC confirmed on the phone, but couldn’t understand why.

On that phone call, HSBC said that it wasn’t right and it shouldn’t have happened, especially at this time of year, however once an account is in closure there’s nothing they can do about it, and I would need to apply for another business bank account that can take “several weeks” to open.

I know Monzo are looking into offering a business account, if there’s a closed beta (heck even an Alpha is fine) that I could be apart of then I’d really appreciate it, the only functionality I’d need is the ability to pay 1 cheque in, setup direct debits and be able to do a bank transfer, I’m already part of the beta testing of the Monzo app and fully understand all the limitations and issues that arise.

Thank you in advance for anything you can do.

cc @tom @simonb @HughWells

2 Likes

What an utter crap situation. Proving what useless customer service retail banks are.

I’m sure the tagged people can press some buttons :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

@jrdn is the product manager for it apparently for business banking at monzo

4 Likes

I don’t think they’ve even got that far

Try Starling

8 Likes

Tough situation to be in!

I’d probably look at Starling for a quick, easy to open/use (and free) business bank account.

You’d be up and running in no time until Monzo have something tangible to offer.

9 Likes

Well that’s obviously a load of crap isn’t it?

I mean there’s no way they wouldn’t be able to reverse it if they really wanted to and really valued you (you missed out what with not being a Mexican narco trafficker!) as there’s no law of physics against it

Really hope you get sorted

Starling probably is your best bet, at least for the short term

3 Likes

It really is! I don’t understand why they couldn’t have suspended the account even just for a couple of days before cancelling it altogether when they can see it was in daily use.

Thanks for the suggests re Starling, I’ll take a look!

Appreciate all the kind replies as well!

2 Likes

Sorry you’re having a shit show with HSBC, so much for the worlds local bank eh?! Starling is your best bet, looking forward to moving my business account to Monzo from them asap though.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.