Monzo App to be available via e app store

I’m working at de-googling my life, and that means that either I dump many modern conveniences, or I have to work a little harder. I’ve been experimenting with alternative Android distributions, and while I like LineageOS, I think e has a better future:

The install is easy, and you can even buy phones pre-installed. Plus they have an app store, allowing updates to happen easily. Most of the apps I want are available on it, but there’s one glaring omission: The Monzo App.

I’d like to make a public appeal for the app to appear here, and I think the relevant details are here:

https://info.cleanapk.org/

PLEASE look into this. I don’t see a significant cost, but it does go hand-in-hand with the Monzo ethos, IMO.

Buy an iphone? :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

They’ve been pretty clear in other posts about other eco systems that it’s not on the drawing board. Suspect be waiting a long long time for something like this to happen, but never say never.

3 Likes

Not going to happen unfortunately.

1 Like

It’s not a different ecosystem, it’s the same Android app, just making a source location clear.

But it is, what I mean by eco system is the store front. It’s just not happening any time soon.

1 Like

Same thing in a different set of clothes, IMO. Not a fan of the Apple Ecosystem.

Simply sideload the :monzo: app from APKMirror

But it may require other Google Services to run, which you may not have on your device… It’s not as simple as publishing the app to another app store, there are links to Google Services designed in the app.

1 Like

Sideloading wont allow automatic updates.

Dan has spoken :sweat_smile:

Similar circumstances to this post

1 Like

I know - but bypassing the easy route introduces such difficulties.

I’d try to sideload the app and then try and run it. I suspect it won’t run, never mind get auto-updates.

I don’t think it’s the same, due to the situation with Huawei! e has microG present, and there are other apps in there that use firebase, etc.

This.

It’s not worth it for Monzo for such a small amount of people and they rely on Google services for functionality in the app.

1 Like

Surely if you’re still using Android, then you’re not really de-googling?

5 Likes

Im afraid to say go buy a PinePhone as thats the only way to be rid of Google or Apple… or buy a Planet Computers Cosmo and use Gemian

Given that Monzo don’t appear to have the bandwidth to support Garmin Pay or Samsung Pay, let alone Badger Pay, I think the likelihood of them supporting this is extremely small.

1 Like

Surely if you’re still using Android, then you’re not really de-googling?

If you use e, then you are. AOSP is google free, it’s the releases that then put google services in it, plus app makers relying on google functionality which can be found elsewhere, but it’s low friction to use google.

Im afraid to say go buy a PinePhone as thats the only way to be rid of Google or Apple… or buy a Planet Computers Cosmo and use Gemian

Not entirely - e is google (and Apple) free.

That’s a totally different proposition. This relies solely on making a canonical version of the app available from a known source - probably simple to set up in a CI/CD pipeline.

In your eyes it’s a different proposition and simple.

It’s not happening any time soon if at all for something with few users. As evidenced from other posts about alternative app stores and other contactless payment methods.

1 Like