Money in Love: Nellie & Nial

This week, our couple talk about why they accepted money from their parents to help them buy a flat in London.

2 Likes

If I was a parent and I had worked hard all my life to save up for my kid to be able to buy a nice house, I would be more than happy for them to accept the money. Is it privilege? Absolutely yes, but I donā€™t see anything hypocritical about it. Lucky kids!

1 Like

Quite a contrast from the previous week ā€¦

2 Likes

Interesting how lots of people have morals but as soon as they can benefit from not having them then they turn a blind eye.

I donā€™t blame them at all, I have the same thoughts as they do about parental bungs (itā€™s leading to a two-tiered society where some are born to have a house and others are born to rent - in London at least), however Iā€™d probably do exactly the same if I was offered free money for nothing.

Luckily both our parents are broke so I can probably be on my moral high horse forever :laughing:

Iā€™d like to think that in future Iā€™ll be able to give my kids the gift of knowledge and wisdom to help them succeed in life, rather than a hundred grand in their pocket that Iā€™ve gained from an inter-generational housing pyramid scheme, as is the current trend.

1 Like

Interesting read. Good to see how different people handle their money over the few of these there have been.

Slightly irked at the usage of a derogatory (potentially homophobic) term in the opening image - especially considering the appearance of being a very diverse company.

Ironically I posted the term previously to draw attention to it in a reply here, and my post requires moderation. Canā€™t use it on the forums, but Monzo can use it on their own site.

@bea @simonb @cookywook

1 Like

I read that as ā€œa cheeky cigarette when drunkā€ not ā€œa cheeky -horribly derogatory word for a gay person- when drunkā€ā€¦ some words have multiple meanings.

Is this just a misunderstanding ?

1 Like

Whatā€™s wrong with using the word cigarette or smoke? :man_shrugging:t3:

Just doesnā€™t fit in with wording Iā€™d expect from Monzo is all.

1 Like

Yeah maybe the guy should have said cigarette instead to make everyone happy. But then, you have colloquial English and professional English and some situations prefer one or the other. Like if I was having a bet Iā€™d stick a tenner on it, rather than wagering ten pounds sterling. Should the guy be made to use a type of English he doesnā€™t want to because a tiny number of people take offence?

Maybe Iā€™m just old and not with the times (Iā€™m only 34 though!) and if other people think thatā€™s offensive then never mind me and ban the word from the dictionary.

I donā€™t mean to devalue your opinion (if you feel it then itā€™s a valid opinion) but I wonder how many people would actually be offended if someone said they have a habit of smoking the odd fā€”? (When theyā€™re clearly referring to cigarettes)

Perhaps someone needs to run a poll. I, being the crazy old man, do not know how to make a poll so Iā€™ll just get my coat.

1 Like

I have to say that I wasnā€™t expecting to to agree with you. But having read the piece, it does strike me as a little jarring.

I can see @rarther ā€˜s point, too, though.

Would you make sweeping statements that might be classed as sexist, or use terms that might insult people of race?

Iā€™m not saying ban words, but it doesnā€™t add anything to the wording so why have it? Also, I guess, maybe, I just expected better of Monzo when they go out about diversity & inclusiveness?

1 Like

I can see his point tooā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m not from London, but going on the article is it possible to get a mortgage for a Ā£330,000 flat with Ā£30k down and a joint income of Ā£73k.

Even with the Ā£100k from parents for the Ā£430K that still seems a stretch ?

1 Like

@michaelw90 thank you so much for your feedback, totally see where youā€™re coming from and weā€™re really sorry about this. Youā€™ll see weā€™ve updated the post to change it.

4 Likes

Ā£430,000 vs Ā£130,000 down = Ā£300,000 mortgage

LTV = 70%

Taking out a Ā£300,000 mortgage at 70% LTV with say Halifax (notorious for being quite friendly to first time buyers)

This it taken from Halifaxā€™s mortgage calculator:

You require a mortgage of: Ā£300,000.00

Your monthly payments would be:

To: Ā£1,272.00 per month

With a loan to value of:
69.77%

So looks pretty doable.

4 Likes