Money in Love: Claire & Mike

If you have kids, do you try to teach them about money? Or do you think it’s too early?

2 Likes

Unlike the other Money in Love stories (which are fascinating!), I find myself not getting invested in reading this one at all because both of them have reported “Undisclosed” incomes. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I actually liked this story. This is how I imagined raising my kids in terms of finance. I’m not up for buying endless amounts of crap. And by instilling some basic principles early it will give them a good foundation in adulthood. I also feel that if you get everything you want as kids you aim for this in adulthood and might try to use credit for something that is not essential. My nephew is a prime example of this he asked for a chippy one night for tea and my sister told him she couldn’t as she does not have the money for it. His response was “just use your bank card.” Clearly the impression he has is that debit cards are just endless sources of money!! If only! :joy:

1 Like

Conversely, I find this one refreshing. You are not sure if they are struggling badly or are cash-rich, balanced with the usual family cash-poor overheads and getting by in an average/flat-line manner. They didn’t have kids until early 30’s (a result of military commitment?) and now have kid-focused ethics which is commendable. All positive values from my perspective and best of luck to you (them) both!

1 Like

There’s a danger in that. Youngest likes to loudly announce in the shop that he won’t ask for a magazine because he knows we’re poor :joy:

1 Like