Microsoft Windows 11? / 24th June Event

With the Microsoft event scheduled for the 24th and they’ve been teasing the number 11 , are we going to see windows 11?

I don’t think it’s going to be called 11 personally , but codenames similar to MacOS with the first being Microsoft Sun Valley.

Microsoft are ending support for Windows 10 home and pro in 2025 so something is definitely changing at least in the naming department.

3 Likes

Isn’t that a peanut butter?

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Reported!! ^^

4 Likes

I hope microsoft copy TimeMachine, it’s so good, you can recover your OS (settings as well) AND files from a backup, where as you can’t do this with Windows, only does files

3 Likes

I can see that useful for viruses , to have a seamless restore.

You can go back with system restore, but that’s just the OS part not the files or personalisation settings.

1 Like

Microsoft peanut butter 365 add on coming soon.

1 Like

I read about this earlier, can someone clarify if I’m making things up

Wasn’t the last major release going to be the last big version ever? Any updates after that they said would just be incremental to add new features, fix bugs etc

I look forward to the daily updates to make it compatible for users with nut allergies

2 Likes

I think they’re working on the Ship of Theseus idea of it still being Windows 10

2 Likes

Windows 10 was meant to be the last ever OS with bi yearly feature updates (latest available is windows 10 21H1) then recently they had windows 10X a lightweight version meant to compete with chromOS , they’ve scrapped that and I think they are merging it with 10 to be this new OS.

3 Likes

Thanks both I’m not going mad then and basically Microsoft are talking :poop:

I guess money talks and they need to milk the cash cow some more, or they doing free upgrades.

4 Likes

I reckon it’ll be free, you can still upgrade from 7 to 10 for free long after it was supposed to be finished.

I think if they start charging they’ll lose alot of ground to chromOS and MacOS , but I’d expect a heavy push to office 365 , they already do at the moment.

On Windows 10 home, you’re forced to sign in to a Microsoft account, the trick is to not connect to WiFi/ethernet during the initial windows setup and it lets you create a user without a Microsoft account.

3 Likes

Or they go down the added expansion pack route

They kind of do with office costing ££ , not sure what else they can charge consumers for without them jumping ship.

1 Like

The vast majority of people won’t jump ship

But basic Windows 10 for all and then extras on top for those who want whatever. No idea what the whatever would be, kpop screensavers or something

I suppose it’s up to the Microsoft people to come up with new revenue streams, K-pop screensavers does sound interesting.

Currently they try cash out by windows sometimes coming in S mode which only allows installation of apps from the Microsoft store and they’re constantly trying to push you to using Microsoft edge as the main browser for AD revenue, they even have Microsoft movie rentals which probably only 1 person in Europe uses, unless it’s in the Xbox ecosystem also, I wouldn’t know tbf.

4 Likes

I couldn’t give less of a “fudge” (Dominic Frisby, genius) about Windows to be honest, it’s funding surveillance capitalism, encouraging the weaponizing of the lack of privacy, NSA have back-doors in the kernel, as much as I love Ameliorated.info, it’s not a fix-all solution.
I’d be using a Linux distribution or similar. I do wholly enjoy Manjaro and Arch until my NVIDIA GPU doesn’t work. :frowning:
(Btw: I tend to be more Libertarian and still I dislike Big Tech and the idea of selling user data and collecting it… proves you shouldn’t tarnish anyone on either side with the same brush :wink:)

I mean, Lord Adonis…I mean Satya Nadella who the fudge is he anyway, The British told him to fudge off, 17 million fudge offs.

For enterprise 365 and windows from a management and productivity point of view is by far the superior option, for consumers windows now is way more secure out the box than Linux and more consumer friendly regarding updates etc, Linux for the mass desktop is a long way off.

If linux was anywhere near as popular as windows then the NSA would have enough backdoors for it too, even with kernel vulnerabilities you still need the RCE.

Who the is Linus Torvalds : )
Satya is a CEO not tech god.

1 Like