Merchant names are a mess

You are right Danny… something’s a miss… according to the below screenshot… I got my breakfast from Maxillofacial Clinic :man_shrugging:t2:

When in fact I got it from the restaurant there :roll_eyes:

On my feed it shows I drink in a restaurant and a police station :joy_cat:

6 Likes

The payment terminals likely shows up as registered to the clinic …

If we were to change it to an in house cafe it might change other people’s medical bills.

4 Likes

Curious why a max fac clinic would have payment terminals. It’s NHS. Private treatment wouldn’t be billed in the department :woman_shrugging:

And the irony of a cafe being shown as a max fac department :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’ve not checked. I’m guessing.

A Starbucks (or whatever it was) someone submitted showed as the medical place it was in rather than Starbucks

3 Likes

It used to show up as LRI Catering… it changed a day or so ago… :man_shrugging:t2:

I’m 99.9% sure they don’t have card terminals in that department

1 Like

To update this, we’ve finally managed to identify a few possible usability problems in our tools that we believe are contributing to these issues with getting merchant logos updated. We’ll make these fixes very soon and you should start to see tasks getting completed more accurately.

There are a few other things that are also an issue, for example, unexpected data sent to us by merchants (especially where terminals are shared across multiple brands), some brands (such as Microsoft) using multiple payment processors and accounts, and so on.

We’ve implemented a few fixes to our automatic enrichment service to hopefully reduce the need to submit merchant data corrections (especially around merchants who put confirmation codes in their descriptions). We’re also collecting feedback around the process in general. While it likely won’t get rewritten in the too near future with everything else we’re working on, we’d love to put a team dedicated to the app and backend tooling on the task at some point. :hammer_and_wrench:

14 Likes

Will this fix also include some kind of status that lets us know it’s been submitted and looked at etc?

Also will you be going through all our old transactions making auto fixes or will we have to submit everything again?

5 Likes

This is great. I really don’t want to be bothering staff on the forum about these issues, it just really bugs me when merchant data is incorrect (probably pretty irrationally really)

1 Like

If it’s any help, I listed some things that I feel would improve it on another thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not in this round of fixes unfortunately. This is something we hope to add in the future.

I’m going to see what I can do about this. :eyes:

2 Likes

That would be good mate as there will be so many we all have it would just be a chore for us all to do.

2 Likes

I think Google is now passing through a different transaction reference for G Suite payments, as mine came through yesterday like the below with an :ireland: emoji (and not beautified):

Here’s how it normally looks…

It also broke the summary committed spending too! So I had to remove the old ‘Google for Work’ as a recurring payment and replace I with this.

When somebody submits a correction then maybe the next few people buying at that place could confirm? So when yout instant notification arrives :monzo: have the possiblity to approve the change.

However, there should be a way to opt out of that.

3 Likes

Similar thing happened to me yesterday so I usually buy my BCAA’s/Protein from a machine in the gym that’s run by Nutrivend but now it’s showing up as The Gym Group every time I buy from the machine it’s rather annoying so hopefully this will be looked into as well.

This annoys me, GMB should be capitalised. Surely 2- 3 random letters could be detected as initials and automatically capitalised?

20180803_170709

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one this bothers. Merchant data is starting to feel very unloved. Some get overwritten when they shouldn’t be, others get logos but not names, others get names and not logos. There should really be a style guide - inconsistencies between how the same merchant is represented across the country is a real problem, or at least it annoys me. It may sound petty, but the lack of attention to detail and consistency in the most customer-facing part of the app should be a focus for Monzo.

4 Likes

Yes.

Also, @simonb made a pretty detailed post about the current state of Monzo’s merchant feedback system here which is worth checking out.

3 Likes

Thanks @awjdean, I’d somehow missed that. Appreciate you pointing me in the direction of it :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.