Making Monzo: Cheque Imaging

Possibly - however at least initially I think both methods would be retained. A £500 limit tends to apply per industry standards, any cheques above this would need to be sent in. Some people may have problems taking pictures, eg a broken/dodgy phone camera. Some cheques might be illegible by imaging, eg if someone has poor handwriting or for whatever reason cannot be read. The bank might want to see the physical cheque where fraud has been suspected, a mistake has been made by the issuer, or the cheque has been damaged.

Then you have the issue of uncommon forms of cheque like a postal order, bankers’ draft or foreign cheque - which I’m not sure the imaging service supports.

1 Like

I actually have a cheque arriving fairly soon, if Monzo is looking for a beta tester I’m happy to give it a shot!

3 Likes

Any timetable yet?

LLyods do it and I know it is free with them but then again so is paying in cash

Not quite the same, Monzo have to use a third party for cash who will be charging for their services.

LLyods also offer deposits at the post office for free

I last paid a cheque in last week, written by a relative who can never get my full surname correct. I use the counter at my local branch where I am known so the cheque is accepted. They always ask if they can help show me how to pay in using the machine. I say " No thanks you can do it faster & I don’t have to get my glasses out to read the instructions."

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to this feature, always seem to get a cheque from someone. Cheque Imaging is much needed! :slight_smile:

Closing other bank accounts.

4 Likes

So I get paid my work expenses by cheque. Monzo is my main account but I still have a Lloyd’s account simply to put a cheque in every month. Would love this feature to be implemented so I could get rid of my Lloyd’s account.

4 Likes

Would be great for this feature to be available, i’m still one of the my the few Barclays customers who doesn’t have this feature yet and it’s really annoying to have to go to a branch, full of staff who are insistent I can do this via the app when I cant :frowning:

I was going to say surely the development of this feature is relatively straight forward given all the open source software on GitHub about cheque reading…

1 Like

It’s not about the software. To (humbly) quote myself from up thread:

3 Likes

Ah that’s very useful to know albeit rather frustrating. (I don’t use cheques at all but it’s always cool to see new features to mess about with).I assume there is no ETA when the permission will be granted.

1 Like

I think we were expecting early 2019. But there’s not been any comms on this or anything to suggest it’s imminent.

If I had to guess I’d say before June? (And that’s an absolute guess - I don’t know any more than anyone else on here. Except staff, obvs!)

More generally, info on cheque imaging here:

https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/cheque-users/businesses/cheque-imaging/about-cheque-imaging-phased-roll-out-began

Nothing particularly useful in terms of dates or participating banks that I can see, though.

1 Like

As far as I know most people don’t have it?

Of all the people I know only one has it on a business account.

Sorry to reply to myself, but here’s a list of participants in the Image Clearing System (ICS):

https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/cheque-clearers/participate-system/participants-ics

It’s a bit out of date, but suffice to say that Monzo isn’t on the list.

There’s also a generic but interesting infographic on what you need to do to participate in the scheme. I imagine that Monzo is a fair way through the process already:

Interesting, the branch staff 6 months ago when I went in, were under the impression it was rolled out to everyone. Shows the poor internal Barclays communication

I found the criteria for cheque imagining and I think (in my opinion) Monzo meets all of them. So I wonder if it’s just lots of red tape

Cheque paid into my Co-op bank account on Thursday showed up as available to take out again late Friday (was told it was guaranteed to be available on the Saturday).