Making Monzo: Cheque Imaging

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #90

Surely you’d cash a cheque for £0.31 if it was as simple as snapping it with your phone?

(#savetheseabass) #91

Posted a cheque 11 days ago and haven’t had the notification it’s been received yet, are they being processed over the holidays?

(Jack) #92

There’s a delay due to holidays I’ve heard.
I posted one Boxing Day.

(NM) #93

I’m gonna wait til after New Year till I post mine… Do we think a spelling mistake will hold up the process as my cousin always forgets how to spell my name… :rofl::joy:

I posted a cheque in mid November which hasn’t been processed and Monzo can’t seem to find it. Looks like I’ll have to try and get it resent.

Cheque imaging can’t come fast enough!

(Louis Cox) #95

Hello👋

I’m Louis and I work in the Payments team.

Earlier this summer we shared our plans to help you pay in cheques just by taking a picture. To bring you this feature we need to join a new payment scheme called the Image Clearing System. In June, we said we were working towards offering it at the start of 2019, but we have had to push this back to August.

Why?

We prioritise projects that will have the biggest impact on our customers. So for the past few months, we’ve been working hard on things that will bring brand new functionality, like joining SEPA to enable direct inbound euro payments. We’ve also been making our payments platform more robust, so we’re ready to grow!

When you join a new scheme, you’re given a few ‘go-live’ dates to choose from. This helps coordinate all the technical work and the testing.

We were aiming for a date in February, but because we’ve focussed on other things we’ve decided to pick a later date instead. The next one available is in August 2019, and we’re working towards that now. And because we have a bit more time, we’ll be able to build something even better.

Sorry we won’t be bringing this to you sooner, and please let me know if you have any questions!

Our plans to help you pay in cheques, just by taking a picture
(Liam) #96

Cool. 🤷 Seems like a good call for the right reasons. :smile:

(Peter Shillito) #97

Well, since Christmas is typically when I receive cheques, August is fine as I’ve already deposited this year’s cheques :rofl:

(Michael) #98

I received one cheque last year, from Premium Bonds

Thought it would last six months, not three (I think theirs are not quite normal cheques) and so did not pay it in on time…

Rang them up and they’re all about bank payments now, so got it that way

Might not get any now before August, even if I win again!

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #99

Good to have a definitive time–scale update. Maybe pin this somehow to the top of the thread for future queries?

Edit: Oh you have!

That’s a shame, but completely understandable. And another example of Monzo’s fantastic transparency - much better than “coming soon”.

(Graham Pink) #101

Louís, thank you for the update. This is a facility that will be of great use to me and I have mentioned it here recently. However, this kind of update is excellent and I hope this openess will continue :slight_smile:

(Tom Milner) #102

Thats a real shame, I love Monzo but cheques are my biggest pain point at the moment. I end up getting quite a few and often in >£100 value that I don’t feel comfortable sending freepost. This ends up costing me a bit to send them recorded delivery and even that I’m not very happy with how long the whole process takes.

I know there is no way around this now, so I will just have to wait. But in the mean time I feel like I have to re-open my natwest account just for depositing cheques.

(Graham Pink) #103

An alternative that may be better for you, would be to open an Easy Saver with Lloyds or an Everyday Saver with the Halifax, which can be completed online. To then deposit cheques, by image through the Mobile app; wait for them to clear the next working day and then; setup up a Bill Payment in favour of your Monzo account and simply transfer the proceeds. Simple within, of course, the current virtual clearing limits :slight_smile:

Good idea but hopefully Monzo will have it soon enough

(👨‍💻) #105

I keep my Halifax account open for this feature. It’s great.

It’s a shame we have to wait this long for Monzo to join the club.

(Marcus Nailor, Hot Coral Detective) #106

Shame it’s 7 months away :see_no_evil: the cheque I’ve just received expires in 6 months :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hopefully another cheque arrives closer to the time so I can test this awesome feature :sunglasses: though I doubt it :joy: I believe this is only my 3rd ever cheque :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(NM) #107

I find it odd how they couldn’t do both at the same time, but maybe the team that does payments is small

I think however big a team is there are always going to be trade-offs and relative priorities to consider. This stuff is hard!

(Rika Raybould) #109

I wouldn’t say it’s small. We have a lot on our plate between these new schemes and improvements to the existing ones. We’re doing this in addition to improvements to Mastercard processing, our connection to Faster Payments, Bacs processes, etc. :slightly_smiling_face: