Lloyds offering bank accounts to homeless

There is a huge amount of homeless people in Manchester at the moment and think this is a real step forward to helping them get back into housing/financial support!

Be great to see how/Monzo implement anything similar how it would be completed without branches?

9 Likes

Is this not what’s happening here? https://monzo.com/blog/2018/06/01/getting-bank-account-no-fixed-address/

I haven’t read about how Lloyd’s are going about it, but Monzo’s approach seams like a good start. It’s really good to see that traditional banks are following suit on these jobs of things.

1 Like

I thought most banks did this? CYB has offered accounts to homeless for ages as long as the person can be verified by a case worker or someone of authority and is staying in a hostel

Not really, since you still require the app to bank with Monzo, when was the last time you saw a homeless person with a smart phone?

That blog talks about how to set up a Monzo account for people who still have a home, just not at a fixed address. Such as a canal boat, or something like that.

2 Likes

And require photo ID currently :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this is the main barrier. Working with Crisis, a homeless charity, I was surprised to see a lot of people with Android smartphones but not many had a proper photo ID. They usually have some form of identification documents like from Job Centre or benefits claim papers but a photo ID is rare.
There is also another issue most had smartphones with much older operating systems. Monzo app just won’t work on those.

I hope Monzo will improve on their solution for people without a permanent address as part of their financial inclusion programme.

4 Likes

The majority of homeless patients that I see (I’m a nurse), do have smartphones actually. It’s surprising, but true!

The photo ID thing is tricky though. Can a CitizenCard be used for that, as I know they work with homeless charities, or does it have to be some sort of government issued ID?

3 Likes

With Monzo it currently has to be a government issued ID as it’s our only way to verify customers.

It would be something we need to address for sure to get a wider customer base on board.

1 Like

Do you work for Crisis? I did a bit of volunteering for them working in the café and also working in reception. Good times. :+1:

I’ve volunteered with Crisis for past few years. I get about two and half weeks off over Christmas holidays so I just do few days there.

If anyone want/can please come along this year. London applications are open now for other cities soon.

https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/crisis-at-christmas/

1 Like

Quite a few homeless people do have smart phones, a struggle for them is often charging it and it not being stolen. It’s the photo ID requirement that would be a significant challenge for people considering Monzo. In fact that’s not limited to homeless people, lots of people struggle for photo ID.

1 Like

Yep, I was corrected on that shortly after making the post, I was pleasantly surprised to hear so :slight_smile:

I am curious why people struggle to get ID. Politicians cite this frequently when I discussing voter ID laws. I can maybe understand lack of address as an issue, but baring that I do not understand why large swathes of a population could struggle to have ID. Many governments mandate this so it is not impossible.

Money. The only forms of photo id that are usually accepted are driving licences, people on benefits or low incomes are less likely to drive. Or passports, which cost over £100, again that’s a large sum of money to someone on a low income or in receipt of benefits.

If you don’t drive or go on holiday what form of recognised photo ID would you have?

1 Like

We have electoral ID cards here, as you need photo ID to vote. A lot cheaper than other forms and the electoral office do just as many checks as you’d get for a passport etc but they’re not accepted as ID :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

£75.50 (or £85] which doesn’t affect the point you were making at all.

1 Like

You can get a provisional DL in the UK for ÂŁ34. No requirement to drive, or even plan on driving. No tests either. They last for 10 years. That is ÂŁ3.40 a year.

Also if your are not an EU citizen, you will have an biometric residence permit, another form of ID.

In the USA, every DMV / RMV (Department/Registry of Motor Vehicles) offers Non-Driving State ID cards too. You can also obtain a federal ID in the form of a passport card for $40, or a Passport Book if you want to spend more money.