Line of Duty: Series 5 šŸ‘® (SPOILERS)

I think they are making it so obvious it is Hastings, that it might actually be Hastings and blind side all of us (similar tactic to the Victim)

Either that or he is being blackmailed which is why he has the encrypted chat app on his laptop (which he quickly got rid of)

1 Like

I think heā€™s using it to chat to the old Caddy, who is still actually aliveā€¦ :eyes: But heā€™s switched to being an informant.

And so, heā€™s got to chat to him, as heā€™s on the insideā€¦

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

Well then! Episode 3 was mad! :eyes: I donā€™t know what to make of it.

need more episodes :joy:

1 Like

Episode 4 left me speechless :no_mouth:

I misread the situation at the end, I didnā€™t think it would go that way :grimacing:

(Spoilers ahead)

I thought the gun would be emptyā€¦ I didnā€™t expect them to take him out of the picture! :open_mouth: H was excessively angry throughout & Iā€™m impressed with how rebellious Steve is being.
Iā€™m annoyed that he gave up the meeting time/location - though it pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for Hā€™s identity

2 Likes

@nexusmaniac nah, itā€™s certainly not him. Hastings had a laptop that he disposed of but after the panicked disposal we saw another communication between H and the OCG ā€“ so if Hastings is H, he disposed of that laptop for no clear reason because he immediately came into possession of another to continue contact. During this episode Hastings received money from the ex-officer but that was (ostensibly) a refund from his investment that went badā€¦ the only connection we have between Hastings and H is the spelling of ā€œdefinatelyā€ when he was posing as H which is certainly meaningful but itā€™s so painfully obvious that it must be a red herring and if that is a red herring it makes everything else more likely to be a red herring. Some people have suggested that when Hastings was posing as H he was giving instructions to Lisa to kill the undercover police officer but if that was true it doesnā€™t fit with him visiting the prison to (presumably) reveal the identity of the undercover officer within the OCG ā€“ why do that if he has contact with the OCG? He took his police service car to the prison, heā€™ll be on CCTV, in the visitors logā€¦

Thereā€™s just too many painfully obvious signs that itā€™s Hastings for it to be Hastings. Generally I like to think about it in terms of how the revelation would reflect on what weā€™ve seen so far: if it is Hastings, and we look back on the previous seasons with that in mind, does it enhance our enjoyment of the show knowing that he was corrupt all along and running the OCG? For me personally it would not, it would seem very lazy.

Presumably following an episode that just screamed ā€œHastings is H!ā€ and with 2 episodes to go weā€™ll see episode 5 be about Hastings being identified as H and then episode 6 will be exonerating him because itā€™ll transpire he was set-up with some of the ā€œshadyā€ characters from earlier seasons. We are being beaten over the head with ā€œHasting is Hā€ ā€“ how do they drag that revelation out to 1 x 60 min + 1 x 90 min episode unless itā€™s some sort of flashback into how everything from all previous seasons fits into placeā€¦ but theyā€™ve renewed for a 6th season so it seems doubtful.

I canā€™t believe theyā€™ve locked him up :policeman:

Thereā€™s an astonishing amount of evidence being pressed against H but itā€™s become too easy to point the finger at him :sweat_smile: Thereā€™s 1 episode left for the truth to come out in! :smiley: I for one cannot wait to see it :eyes:

2 Likes

Extended episode as well next week :grimacing:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard so many people say how good this is lately, think itā€™s time to give it a go. Starting Series 1! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Lol https://twitter.com/jed_mercurio/status/1123357185038221312?s=19

1 Like

OMG What an episode!

2 Likes

Loved it! Iā€™m very new to this show but have binge watched all the episodes over the last couple of weeks. It is so compelling!

2 Likes

Really enjoyed that! :boom:

So fantastic how Kate and Steve were on the ball with that lack of security :eyes::policewoman::policewoman:

2 Likes

I thought that ending fell pretty flat. The show hasnā€™t evolved enough, itā€™s doing the same thing over and over again at this point: itā€™s a shame because the concept is fantastic and the earlier seasons were very good but this season felt like filler. Everything that happens in the episode has happened before and they hit viewers over the head with it until we say ā€œyes, yes, we get it, thereā€™s a shifty looking police officer in the background doing shifty thingsā€ā€¦ and then they just give everybody immunity for the hell of it. Iā€™m not even going to acknowledge the morse code nonsense, that was painful to watch. I like the show overall and it was worth watching but thatā€™s about it, I canā€™t imagine this season will get much critical acclaim. I certainly wouldnā€™t compare this season to the earlier seasons in terms of quality.

My prediction for Season 6 is that they are re-assigned to investigate Jed Mercurio for crimes against Line of Duty.

4 Likes

The Morse Code thing?

Anyone? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@42644

Thank you!

I am glad I wasnā€™t the only one with that feeling by half ten last night.

1 Like