Lifes little mysteries

:man_facepalming::eyes:

I immediately thought ā€˜placebo buttonā€™ when you said that ā€“ a button installed to give people the illusion of being in control, because humans canā€™t really cope with not being in control. Like when someone presses a lift call button which is already illuminated.

I found the wiki article on placebo buttons, and thereā€™s a section on Underground train doors!

2 Likes

I remember when they worked.

Itā€™s a shame theyā€™re not more intelligent, as in Europe.

They could illuminate to indicate the side that the next platform will be, and pressing between stations could open only the doors which have passengers waiting to alight, at above ground stations.

Butā€¦ you can pay in Ā£10, buy a ticket, then immediately withdraw Ā£8.

If you cannot afford to not have Ā£8 in your account for a few hours, you may want to rethink whether spending Ā£2 on a ticket is such a wise investment in the first place.

1 Like

Orā€¦ you could just buy a ticket with cash and save that hassle whilst also getting a physical ticket.

3 Likes

They essentially still work today, on tubes that sit about the doors will close after a minute and the buttons can be pressed to open again. Its just that they all auto-open by the driver for the past few decades.

The maddening one I find is pedestrian crossings at most junctions where the button is a placebo and only goes green as part of the fixed cycle. It might as well say ā€œwait your turnā€ but I guess its fun for kids to make it light up and feel like theyā€™ve made the traffic stop.

2 Likes

Agreed but I suspect that a lot of those playing lottery arenā€™t exactly rolling in it to begin with.

Why is the Big Mac called the Big Mac? Shouldnā€™t it be called the Big Mc?

2 Likes

Yes - it shouldā€¦

:exploding_head: