Legal (or given) name vs preferred name in help chats

Wow, I always thought you had to pay for that! :mindblown:

2 Likes

One of the great cons of the industry! It’s even easier to do in Scotland!

Note that @Rika process doesn’t apply in Scotland!

1 Like

Is your preferred name collected as registration or do you have to ask in app? I don’t remember if I got the option or not, but support’s always used my full name.

We can update it if you contact us in-app :+1:

It would be good if this was viewable / changeable in the app. I can understand having to contact cops to change the legal / ID name though.

3 Likes

Thanks for your prompt response. I know a lot of people will appreciate this. :slight_smile:

Have you thought about making changes to your in-house tools, so the team are nudged into using the preferred name? Maybe highlighting the preferred name more prominently, or hiding the legal/ID name field (with a link or a button to reveal it)?

4 Likes

fun fact: I’ve left mine as Elizabeth :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

very Regal!

1 Like

Just so you know, if you email help@monzo.com, your full legal/ID name is included in the email trail of any replies.

Hi, just seen this thread and thought I would mention that my full first name, Raymond, has been used everytime I’ve used online chat since I got the current account. When a message was sent today notifying me that some payments may have been take twice it started “Hi Raymond”.

I’m not gonna lie, I hate being called “Raymond” and have even contemplated legally changing it just to Ray. However, it does seem that the whole “preferred name” is by and large ignored. As you mention @simonb, this could upset transgender people who have not legally changed their name of the policy is not adhered to but I also suspect no-one calls Tom Blomfield “Thomas”…?

1 Like

Hi @anon10222739 Have you raised this via in app chat?

Yeah, but next time I raise a chat it just gets ignored again.

Hi @anon10222739, have you specifically asked for the name on your account to be changed?

Or was it more of a “Oh, you can call me Ray” in the chat?

If it was the latter, the next operator won’t know this is your preferred name.

If the former (and you have had it changed on your account), I’d agree it was poor service.

My preferred name is Ray and this is embossed on my Monzo card and in the app.

1 Like

Oooof, then give em hell Ray! Give em hell!

On a serious note, I’m sure Monzo would be very keen to hear your feedback, and will take the steps needed to sort it out (the growing pains when you have a very high reputation for customer service!).

I know @simonb is passionate about this - I’m sure he’ll pick it up when he gets the chance.

3 Likes

I’ve fallen out with enough financial companies in the past. I don’t want to do so with Monzo…

1 Like

Really sorry about this Ray :pensive:

Do you mind sending me a DM with your email address please? I’ll investigate as soon as I can.

6 Likes

Hey @liamh just wanted to let you know your automated messages asking for feedback on COps chats are really annoying because they don’t use preferred name. You’ll not get any feedback from me until that’s fixed :expressionless:

Ouch!

1 Like

Hey there :wave:

Sorry to hear about this, we’d actually discussed this internally and preferred names are meant to sync with Intercom each time we update them so this shouldn’t happen.

Really sorry you’ve been been caught out by this, I’ll chat to our engineers tomorrow to make sure this doesn’t happen again!

You also mentioned messages - have you received more than one of these? It should only be sent once so I want to make sure that’s the case as well :blush:

3 Likes