Labs Feedback: Summary šŸ“Š

Cool idea!

2 Likes

Ah, I see. Weā€™re exploring bringing back the overall spending target, but nothing beyond that right now.

1 Like

The summery is really not working for me. I am self employed and have various sized payments coming in each week. The big red dial telling me Iā€™m not going to make it to the end of the month is quite off putting. There should be a way to set your payday other than monthly.

The main gripe for me is that I would like to assign my expenses reimbursement to the expenses category. At the moment it looks like I have overspent on Expenses because it doesnā€™t take into account that I have been reimbursed.

To have everything appear under Income is ok initially, but the ability to assign this to another category is really important otherwise it gives an incorrect income value.

:grinning: Keep up the good work! :ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Summary now seems to accept deposits less than Ā£500 for payday. I just managed to set my payday based based on a deposit of Ā£250 which I made actually on my payday from my other bank account.

1 Like

The new TestFlight release notes mention improvements to Summary, what should we be looking out for here? :raised_hands:

Thanks for this - weā€™re aware Summary isnā€™t working well enough for people who are self employed. We have a couple of things planned to try and improve things the dial a little:

• Weā€™re going to make the dial less quick to assume youā€™re going to run out of money
  • Weā€™re going to see if setting an overall spending target, and using that for the dial is more suitable for people.

Separately, as a freelancer - what schedule would you use instead of monthly?

1 Like

The iOS Testflight build should have the following fixes:

• The month picker should now show absolute dates, rather than March, March, March
  • Weā€™ve reworded the Set Payday flow to Change start date to make it feel less dependant on salary payments.
  • If a category (or Pot) nets out at Ā£0, you should be able to navigate to the transaction list, rather than the app assume it is empty.
  • Fixes for crashes when updating transactions
  • Fixes where the chart on past months doesnā€™t update when switching months
5 Likes

One thing I notice is my pay cycle runs from Apr 26- 25 May thatā€™s because the 26th of may is a Saturday and I get paid the working day before and yet it states 15 days to go! But actually itā€™s 14 daysā€¦

This does not work on Android, even when I set my category to bills, or transport or anything else. Is this a bug or is this working as intended?

This is very troublesome and throws off summary from being useful. I pay the rent for flatmates, and I have an extremely big amount on top of my summary. A related buggy experience is I have a standing order for the entire rent, however I receive deposits from my flatmates during the month. The standing order value is removed from left to spend and I am predicted to run out of money _ all the time _.

This is a must! Itā€™s a step backwards at the moment in this regard from the old spending section. Weā€™ve heard all the complicated ways people get paid etcā€¦ which arenā€™t being addressed with the current select pay date option.

Allowing people to set an overall spending target makes complete sense.

Especially as youā€™re carrying over money from the previous month in income.

I get paid a certain amount. I donā€™t want to spend all of it in a month and I wouldnā€™t like the spending wheel to work off my full salary in its calculations. I want to be able to set a smaller amount to target in the spending month so I have some left over.

Currently the only way to do this with the current system is to get paid into a separate account and transfer your spending into the account each month and then run your account to zero. Not ideal

2 Likes

Apologies just read this, youā€™re already on it, good work!

Or to transfer money out to a savings account somewhere.
Or to transfer money to a pot.

There are actually a few ways of achieving this effect even under the current scenario Iā€™d Summary functionality. I do both of the above each month anyway but it seems to dovetail with the current ā€˜Labs experimentā€™ quite comfortably. If you want your ā€˜left oversā€ to sit in your main account, of course, then I can see there will be a problem.

Eventually Iā€™d like to transition everything to Monzo and simplify my financial life. So I guess thatā€™s my motivation for being keen on development of the summary screen.

I like my money to look after itself, so whilst pots will hopefully be able to take over soon, (thereā€™s been talk of development since they launched) at the moment I canā€™t have direct debits/ transfers etcā€¦ automatically into or out of them. Everything needs to be manual. And Iā€™m not sure, but at launch everything needed to be in Ā£5 amounts with pot transfers

At the moment I use Monzo or day to day spending which I have a monthly budget for. My high street bank account handles the rest. But Iā€™d like to merge them together, but easily keep track of day to day spending like I can with Monzo now. Thatā€™s what I envisage summaries being able to do

The Ā£5 thing went very quickly (tap and type) but the manual nature is still a limitation, I agree. I can work with it, however, on the promise that the automation will be there someday since seeing the Pots data in the app is just too useful. The byproduct is really the ā€˜amount left to spendā€™ falling out of everything else Iā€™m already doing.

This is very true! :smiley::money_with_wings: But what surprised me (I noticed this today) is that monzo.me payments donā€™t credit the spending category. :slightly_frowning_face:

I went to lunch today and paid, splitting the bill back at the office for ease :slight_smile: One friend (now two! :tada:) has Monzo so he paid me, the other two used the usual monzo.me link and I looked in my Summary tab only to see that the target was super low :stuck_out_tongue: I clicked into ā€œEating Outā€ and there it was, the Monzo-to-Monzo was there as a green + but the the other two m.me payments were nowhere to be seen :wink:

Iā€™d love to see these payments included one day! (Apologies if itā€™s been mentioned already, Iā€™ve read so many Monzo posts this evening :joy:)

2 Likes

I am running the newest version of the Monzo app on the latest version of iOS but I still canā€™t see it. Am I missing something? :pensive:

The button is top left of the Summary page where it always was on the Spending screen so I canā€™t see what else youā€™d be missing if itā€™s just not there. Force close and restart, perhaps?

Yep this is something I do too and I would love to see is as part of summary page somewhere.

1 Like

A quick question:

I have to renew my travel pass every month here in Paris. This has to be done in the last week of the month.

What this means is that, although it has to be done even month, it is not done on a particular day. Is there any way that I can mark my pass renewal as a recurring bill so that it is considered as committed spending?

P.S. Loving the Summary screen so far BUT I am not sure how it interacts with the targets functionality. Do targets still have a purpose?

2 Likes