Joint account parity (split from Monzo Plus thread)

I don’t get all this negativity about joint accounts on this forum. Sure, there is no feature parity but Monzo are implementing things at a fast pace. This means there might not be time to initially work on any challenges that implementation on a joint account would bring about.

I, for one, support faster paced innovation in favour of slow progress to ensure feature parity. And I don’t know the statistics, but I’m sure less than half of all Monzo users have a joint account in which case bringing features to everyone should be prioritised once again. So everyone take a step back, appreciate all the hard work. Joint accounts will catch up eventually

Every packaged account I’ve ever seen required you to have the funds in the account and wouldn’t allow you to pay from a separate source. Maybe set up a standing order?

2 Likes

It would seem the majority of people who sign up to a banking forum to see/hear about new features, also support faster paced innovation… But right now, I don’t see a huge amount of “innovation” happening (I see plenty of potential development, but it’s not new to banking, it’s just new to Monzo).

As for the Joint Account comment, again, I also don’t know the stats, but I’ve seen a lot of people comment that they never use their Sole Account and the Joint Account is the only one they use (I’m one of these people).

So right now, a huge amount of “features” that are being touted, or semi released, are completely irrelevant to me (and many others).

Don’t confuse people’s genuine criticism/comments about wanting things for the Joint Account (or anything else), with simply “having a pop at Monzo” - We are all here because we want the account that we use to be as good as it can possibly be - It’s becoming increasingly frustrating to see features get released as an MVP (with the intention of developing them further), to then see nothing new for months on end (whilst other bare bones features are released to much fanfare).

To my knowledge, Joint Accounts haven’t seen a single update since the very first “beta” release (something I was a part of) - There’s been no obvious signs that this will change, and the only thing that it has going for it over other accounts right now, is instant notifications (which work well for my family, but others don’t even value this particularly highly).

Appreciate Monzo has a huge amount to develop, with limited resource and time, so need to prioritise certain things… But I’d like to see some of these features really get some polish (even if they are Sole Account only).

8 Likes

Well this just isn’t true. Off the top of my head I can think of the following features which have been brought to joint accounts:

• Joint account pots.

• Joint account CASS.

• Pay Anyone.

• New Accounts and Payments tabs.

• New account switcher (with account balances visible in switcher).

2 Likes

It was perhaps a slight exaggeration on @nickh behalf but still a valid point in that they haven’t had anything new in a long time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should have probably said “significant” update - Although I appreciate the “pots” coming to JA’s were big for some people.

The rest of the list is very forgettable IMO.

To be honest, all I really want from the JA is decent payee management - Something that was ticked off “the big list”, but aside from a slight makeover, hasn’t seen any tangible difference.

Again, it’s just my perspective as a user of the JA only.

2 Likes

Overdrafts for me. Always nice to have a bit of a safety net just in case :slight_smile:

1 Like

Disappointing to see no mention of Monzo Plus for Joint Account holders. I don’t use my personal account at all, so having these features available for joint account holders like every other premium bank account out there would be pretty nice.

I realise it’s still early days for Monzo Plus, but I hope some focus on joint accounts will come soon. We’re now in the process of switching my account from Nationwide FlexPlus, but will have to re-open the account again to retain the features. Hopefully one day I can close this account and get the features from Monzo for both of us.

3 Likes

Hi all, I’ve split this chat out (about features staying up to date across personal and joint accounts) from the current main Monzo Plus thread, as it feels like a separate - but still important - conversation to have.

Let’s carry on the conversation here, thanks!

1 Like

I’m a JONS user (Joint Only, Never Single - copyright :wink: )so would love more features to be rolled out to JONS at the same time as those solo people.

3 Likes

I think the large amount of people ‘complaining’ about joint accounts not getting features shows the frustration and disappointment of not being able to join in using the new features, ie they are excited about what Monzo is bringing out but then realise they can’t use it. I am one of these people. I love Monzo and how they work and want to be trying everything out, but most just dont make sense on my personal account as all my money is spent in my joint account.

Maybe we could create a list of the missing features and then have a poll on whats most important to people? Monzo might then take this on board in prioritising what comes to joint accounts next.

2 Likes

This has been done before;

A recap;

• Bill Splitting for joint accounts.
  • Monzo.me for joint accounts.
  • Shared Tabs for joint accounts.
  • IFTTT for joint accounts.
  • Overdrafts for joint accounts.
  • Loans for joint accounts.

There may be even more now, with the new UI and recent feature additions - a couple of removals from the JA spring to mind regarding the new android beta and also viewing external credit card balances;

• Show ‘Your Monzo’ (for my profile) in the joint account profile, which shows ‘me’ anyway
  • Show ‘Monzo points’ (for my profile) in the joint account ‘View All’ display
  • Allow selected/designated connected Credit Cards to be shown in the joint account ‘View All’ display
5 Likes

As someone who recently switched over to full monzo with our joint and personal accounts I find this pretty frustrating. We barely use the personal accounts as all money is sitting in the joint to track spending. With the introduction of Monzo plus and possible future potential cashback offers etc I won’t be able to take advantage as we spend via joint accounts. It does feel like Joint account holders are always a second thought and beta to main which I get because the majority are single account holders but it does put people who use joint accounts at a continual disadvantage when they have fully moved across to Monzo in most cases.

5 Likes

A timely poll. Might be one reason older people wouldn’t switch to Monzo…

1 Like

Very interesting. Clearly hubby and I are in the minority for our age group.

As a married couple in our early 30s I don’t see much benefit of separate accounts. It sounds like a PITA maintaining two accounts and (presumably) having to transfer money between them when bills etc. are to come off.

I’d love to know from others in our demographic why maintaining separate accounts is appealing.

2 Likes

We are the exact same as you! Early 30s and don’t use our sole accounts at all. Glad it’s not just us bucking the trend!

2 Likes

I’m in the same demographic as you :wave:

Our joint account is used for household bills and shared expenses like groceries. We each have a standing order setup to transfer a fixed amount in each month (based on Monzos budgets) and use our personal accounts for our personal expenses.

My girlfriend doesn’t want to know, or cares, what I blow my money on and vice-versa. It’s so much easier to see and manage shared expenses when your personal ones aren’t in the mix :slight_smile: Probably saves on a lot of money arguments too.

EG. I want to buy some new bedsheets that aren’t accounted for. Ok, let’s split the bill. Easy.

I want to blow my money on something cool for my motorbike. Ok. No problem, it’s your money, spend it on what you want and she can buy whatever she likes too without needing to ask eachother for “permission” :slight_smile:

Notifications would annoy the hell out of each of us too. She goes for coffee most mornings, so why would I want push notifications telling me that :confused: I’d then start thinking about how much she is wasting of “my money” (because I’d rather have one at home) and again, I could see it causing tension.

Then I can’t see ways round other issues. For example. My car payment is probably twice as much as hers so it would be wrong of me to ask her to pay towards it when she doesn’t use the car :man_shrugging:

I get that it works for others but I think it’s so much simpler for us this way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can see all of that. Makes a lot of sense.

It helps that hubby and I share a car (we both work from home) and we have broadly similar interests so there’s never any argument over what each of us would spend.

We probably do have an ‘old fashioned’ approach to money where we share everything and would largely discuss any major purchases. Easy when you want the same things though.

1 Like

Ahh ok yeah, I can see that too :slight_smile:

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not black and white split. If anyone of us needs money for whatever reason there is no owing - we are still a team :smiley:

Thankfully we both earn similar salaries too otherwise I wonder how that would play into each of our scenarios :thinking: Personally, if my partner earned more than me I’d want her to keep it for herself. It would be as a result of working harder, taking more risks or studying more than me. She should reap the rewards without me sponging off her. (harsh word couldn’t think of a better one sorry :sweat_smile:)

Then again, I’m sure we’d want to enjoy it doing things together… :thinking: I’m now debating with myself :laughing::see_no_evil:

I’m 26 and have been using a joint account with my wife for 6 years. I can’t imagine how complicated it would be without it.

2 Likes

Same here. We ONLY use a joint account, haven’t used a sole account for years. Cant see the point in keeping things separate.

2 Likes