ITV X - the new streaming service from ITV

I’ll grant that as well as the locations, Vicky McClure was also good value (and bonus points for Kerry Godliman, but bonus points taken back off again for the presence of Kevin Eldon, as I cannot watch him in serious roles without pointing out “the actor, Kevin Eldon”).

But. Thrillers hinge so much on the plot - and so much of the plot was guff and nonsense. It was really obvious that - despite Jed Mercurio’s name being slapped all over - the show was from a first-time scriptwriter. In some ways it’s a shame he wasn’t allowed to stick this script in a drawer for a year or two while he worked on other shows, then come back and shine it up with experience.

Also falls into the classic trap of “I recognise that famous actor in a weirdly minor role, so clearly there’s more to it than meets the eye here and he’ll end up being a wrong 'un!”

2 Likes

Well yes, I’m not disagreeing with you there. It will be a separate entity but still within ITVX, like Star is on Disney+.

1 Like

Walter Presents on whatever 4 are calling their streaming service now (4OD? All4? I’ve no idea) might be another comparison.

4 Likes

(Your last paragraph should be above but quoting ruins the spoiler)

This always used to bug me watching House! You knew who was going to get sick straight away.

1 Like

And they wonder why people just decide to go to any number of cough cough streaming services which bypass pay walls. :skull_and_crossbones::ferry:

Industry likes to cry a lot about it but then they just get greedy and come up with more pay services instead.

I’m going to hazard a guess that due to it including BritBox it’ll be more than £3.99 a month for ad free ITV Hub.

I already get BritBox through EE, I don’t need to pay more. Just want to be able to get ITV with no ads when there’s a show I like. £3.99 is perfect for that.

1 Like

Britbox is £5.99 a month. I would assume they would want it a bit more than that but then it just seems to be a bit expensive for what it is in comparison to other streaming services.

I’m fine with this. I pay for ITV Hub+ because on the rare occasion I want to watch something on there, I can’t stand ads. So I’m all for them trying to make it a bigger service and adding more exclusives and movies. If they can do what iPlayer does and allow you to watch new episodes as soon as they start broadcasting that would be great - if I miss the start of Trigger Point, I have to wait until its finished before I can start to catch up.

They really need to sort out their app though, on Apple TV its a hot mess. Not as bad as Now, but it doesn’t feel like an app that a billion quid company would produce.

I always wondered why the BBC doesn’t license out its iPlayer tech when its clearly one of the best in class, though I seem to remember Project Kangaroo a few years ago being cancelled due to concerns it could make the BBC a monopoly supplier?

7 Likes

:yawning_face:

What do they call their phones now, then?

1 Like

A huge number of people watch broadcast TV.

4 Likes

Indeed. It’s a whole year older than the previously criticised iPlayer.

But they are still using the name. If they were that against it, they would have dropped it by now.

I wonder if the streaming quality will be better. ITV hub looks awful! Happy with free ad supported and mainly use it when ITV has sports rights where no other choice. But the bad quality really grates!

1 Like

They did, they dropped it in 2014. That’s why people are wearing Apple Watches and not iWatches.

3 Likes

Yet they released the iPhone 13 last year. Clearly aren’t that displeased with the name.

1 Like

They aren’t changing the name of the best selling tech gadget ever.

But nothing new gets an i in front of it.

5 Likes

And? Who knows if that’s because people think it is outdated. Maybe they just dont want to associate with Apple.

Just because you think it is outdated, doesnt mean everyone else does and it doesnt mean that is the reason for that name not being used.

Considering i can say iPlayer and most people will know i am refereing to BBC iPlayer would suggest to me it is quite a strong brand. I dont think ITV is going to get the same thing with “X”, even if it may be a more modern brand.

Anyway, id rather leave this discussion here. It will just go around it circles. Some people think iPlayer is a strong brand, others dont. Simple as that.

2 Likes

Personally, i cant see myself paying for the premium tier. Based on what we know, i just dont think its going to be value for money for me. Im fine with watching adverts and Britbox doesnt have enough for me. I tend to just use free trials or subcribe for a month to watch the few programmes that are of interest.

Im currently subscribing to Disney+, Apple TV+ and Now, although im only subscribing to Now because i have 2 months for £2. I dont really pay for Now when its full price, but they give me quite a few offers which are normally good value.

1 Like

Still always call it 4OD in conversation, that name was so engrained All4 just never stuck the same.

3 Likes