Introducing the new Monzo Plus

Uh oh! I’ve been making and deleting a bunch of test ones just to have a play with the feature and the colours! :tired_face:

2 Likes

You can’t always tell. There is very popular “Japanese snack box” company, what works in subscription model, what looks good until you will try to resign.

5 at one time, 100 total.

If you could say “This card can only be used at CatsLoveHats.com” or “This card can only be used to £10.57” then I could see the uses.

But in their current state, not so much.

3 Likes

Me - cheaper football shirt sites are one. £15 vs £70 over here.

This is what I said with virtual cards - as they stand I don’t think they improve security:

• Going to go against the grain here and say I am a bit disappointed on how these are setup, I thought they would be a true isolated card and balance or at least the option to do this. At the moment if you are using this in a situation you may not want your main details given out you are just moving the goalposts anyone overhearing in the Chinese which is the example provided someone can still withdraw all your balance. I hoped that it will work like privacy - https://privacy.com/ , where the card is only good for x balance or you can do self-destruct after 1 use. I’d like to think this is coming though

It’s 100 VCs per year according to Monzo’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/monzo/status/1283876998641745920

1 Like

I’m disappointed this isn’t a real website! :tired_face:

1 Like

That sounds like privacy.com

I would love to see Monzo offer that functionality too. It’s a different possibility to the other two already noted by Monzo further up the discussion too. There are so many possibilities for adding more and better functionality to the disposable cards, and a very solid foundation is in place for it.

Privacy.com would be so much better, because it is their main product, there are tones of features what could take years for monzo to implement, if ever

The best things about privacy.com :

• Virtual card per merchant
  • Setting monthly limit per service (Netflix, etc)
  • Virtual cards what don’t require using real name while paying with them
  • Browsers extensions allowing dynamicly creating new Virtual cards when website asks for card details
  • Separation between single use cards and multi use cards (first one gets deleted after first and only transaction)
1 Like

I believe it’s been previously stated that at present there is no current feature to apply custom budgets to historical transactions.
I’ve yet to see if they auto-apply in future transactions but here’s to hoping!

1 Like

I agree, but they are not yet in the UK, if monzo could get close to it or setup VC in a slightly different way as I said above it would be much better.

Here’s what I meant by the background using the holographic/multicolour effect rather than the bizarre mint green:

I know there’s next to no chance this is even considered though but worth a try to see if the Monzo gods think anything of it!

8 Likes

I work in a hotel and places like Expedia and Agoda use VC. They work exactly like that, they’re funded with the cost of what the customers stay is. You can charge the card for less than the amount but you can’t charge no more than the amount.
They also have them set to be activated a certain date.

I’ve highlighted the important point here. For me it’s more than £500 - after experiencing losing my job back in October because the company went into administration, I know all too well how frustrating it is not having easy access to one month’s salary right within my main banking app. For me meeting the 2K allowance in a pot, makes sense - I do it anyway, so plus just became cheaper in order to access other features under the same roof, and help me manage my money.

I think this is the crux of it. I closed my Barclays account when CASS’ing to Monzo, as I knew I wanted to move my primary account. However, I subsequently closed my Natwest account after trying to update my address became a bit of a faff (CASS’ing that account was easier than changing my address). Once joint accounts came around, the Lloyds joint account vanished as we wanted to see our spending all under one roof and not have to endure the unfriendly UX that Lloyds offered.

But you have to be a US resident in order to have an account with them. As far as I know, there’s not a UK equivalent?

1 Like

You need to have account with one of their partners banks, what are US only at this moment, but as much they say, they are open to work with any bank anywhere in the world, if some bank would like that

I imagine there’s a specific reason for this - maybe their financial partners have this restriction? It seems too coincidental that Stripe have the same limitation: https://stripe.com/gb/issuing

My holographic card just arrived in the post (already!).

Looks great! Definitely doesn’t feel as cheap as my old Plus card which I’m been itching to get rid of.

4 Likes

I’m still not fully convinced there’s a benefit to having it in your Monzo account, as opposed to an easy access savings account where you could transfer it into your account in less than a minute or so. Still, yes in the slightly unusual case that you have a current account balance that never dips below £2k then you gain £20pa.

I guess my point was that people need to work out there own balances and look at all the options to see what they are ‘gaining’. If you need to keep £2k in your account which you otherwise would have put somewhere else you gaining £20 pa. It’s not just a case of whether you have the cash spare or not.

1 Like

privacy.com gets a lot of attention and love on these forums, I was half expecting Monzo to partner with them for their virtual card offerings.

With that said though, the fact they’re US only means there is a gap in the market here for Monzo to capitalise on.

3 Likes

Just got my card. Very nice.

Hey Tom,

I received my new card today. But there is no signature strip. This something you are doing away with?

Thanks