I’m on Week 3 as a Monzo COp! AMA

Ooh I’ve got another if you don’t mind. I’ve recently had an issue where a few cops had to look at a problem I had before it got fixed.

How does this work internally if you simply just don’t know the answer? Does it get popped back in the queue or is there a ‘next level up’ support etc that you pass the chat to?

I’ll admit it was quite stressful to be passed around so much so would be great if I understood why and what happened.

2 Likes

If after 3 weeks he’s got his swag I’m quitting. :wink:

2 Likes

If you’ve got a mug, keep it quiet. I don’t think @BethS has quite gotten over the Coral Crew mug giveaway yet… :scream:

4 Likes

We get fancy hoodies and tops! There’s a bunch of branded stuff in the office like Hot Chip mugs and paintings, but the dress code is very relaxed at Monzo, and people will wear Monzo swag not because they have to, but because they love the company personally!

1 Like

Ok well that confirms it. The Coral Crew need to unionise. We’ll be picketing the forum this time next week.

5 Likes

We tend to only saved responses to make sure we letting people know the right things.

We get that sending saved responses all the time can become very ‘robot-like’ so we’ll always try to personalise it to our best intentions

But once we’ve got the important information across, we’ll generally have a free-flowing, heart to heart chat with everyone :smiley:

3 Likes

Another, if I may

When you get a message back from a COp saying it has been referred on to Engineering to take a look and they’ll get back to me, how is that (or should be) tracked?

It was not an earth shattering incident, but I reported an odd incident with notifications (complete with screenshots from logs) and got the following

Never did hear back, but didn’t chase further as don’t want to clog up the machine further!

1 Like

Ask as many things as you like :heart:

So the way this works is that we’ll try out best to keep chats with one COp where possible, but sometimes that COp might need to go on break or step away from the computer from time-to-time

So what happens is we’ll “pause” a chat, which basically means once another COp is available, you’ll chat to them straight away, rather than waiting for a long time for the same COp to reply.

In terms of escalation, we do have the relevent channels to ask for help or escalate things. So, if there’s an issue where a COp doesn’t quite know how to deal with something, we have dedicated Slack channels where everyone from Monzo chips in and offers help! This information then goes back to the COp and they can deal with it better, it’s also made available for other cops to take a look to see what would be the best response in such cases

I completely get how sometimes it can feel like you’re being passed around different COps, but this isn’t the intention, we’re simply making sure you’ve got constant contact with a COp, regardless of the time/day and that we can give you the best information :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

How many separate message threads with different customers do you work on at one time?

Is it hard to keep it straight in your head?

1 Like

So from my understanding, anything to do with escalations for product feedback or new features, will get posted into a dedicated Slack channel for engineers to take a look at.

What happens then is a COp “pauses” the chat (so it effectively leaves that COp’s queue)

If a customer doesn’t reply, or if an engineer doesn’t leave a note on the chat, that message won’t appear in the COps queue.

But, if that COp makes themselves unavailable to take any chats (i.e when we go on break or go home), then the chat re-enters the queue for another cop to be assigned to

In that case, a COp will either chase it up to see what’s going on (if it’s not too busy) or sometimes, we’ll get in touch with the original COp dealing with it to find out more information

I appreciate how it can be slightly annoying to not here back from things like this, but we do have our best intentions at heart, it’s just been really busy lately with the amount of chats we have! But we all do discuss customer feedback and we do take them seriously :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thanks

In that particular case I was told it would be escalated on 30th April and the chat auto-closed on 8th May. I guess after that I would not hear back at all

Feels to me as an outsider that there should be a different form of pausing in that case

1 Like

Having been on the system for a little less that 3 weeks, it works as a 3 open chats at max kinda way.

So, if we have 3 chats open at one time, we won’t be able to assign ourselves anymore unless we “pause” a chat

When we pause a chat, that chat will simply wait for the customer to respond before opening back up again, and if a customer doesn’t respond after 48 hours, it gets closed.

We’ll only pause chats once we’ve done what we needed to do, and that the customer has been told what’s happening.

However, there can be times where we do have a bunch of the same chats coming in all at once so it can get a little tricky but due to the nature of chats, and our awesome customers, it’s quite easy to pick back up from where we left off :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

There’s definitely a lot of discussion about the chat system, and ultimately it needs to work well for customers, as well as for us so we are always keen to improve on it

I think the current flow of it is to just make sure we’re dealing with customers with an acceptable SLA, because otherwise it can get a little messy and not fun at all for customers or for us :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

I note that it does not show at the customer end that we have been paused

Perhaps worth a discussion your end whether this could be shown in some way

1 Like

It’s certainly something I can bring up! I’ll let you know as soon as I’m in the office Wednesday!

Just to be clear, we’ll only pause a chat once we’ve done all we can, and when I say pause, it doesn’t mean that we’ve “stopped” the chat, if that makes sense?

It just means that the chat is open for customers to respond to straight away again if they need to, and it gives the customer a chance to get back in touch with the same COp (if the COp hasn’t set themselves unavailable)

1 Like

Just you wait.

3 Likes

What’s your favourite Slack channel? :thinking:

Dogs!

I get my daily good boy dose there.

I also like bucket of crabs. I’m happy not to be a member of that, though! :crab:

Give goats a go too :joy: :goat:

I guess being office based you need to be careful of the bucket - doughnuts too! :doughnut:

1 Like

I’ve heard of the goats one :laughing:I’ll check that out now!

Yeah, I’ve already been doughnutted once… not a great experience :frowning_face:

1 Like