I forget how spoilt I am with Monzo

I take your point here, but Dan has basically said as much anyway.

A Monzo employee, publicly saying, that it would be possible to verify people over the phone if a process was developed to do so, but a business decision has been taken not to develop said process - and so it isn’t. That’s pretty transparent and more information than you would get out of your typical big bank.

1 Like

True, and this is why I dislike banks that use card readers as even if you don’t have it with you for a short time you are effectively locked out of fully managing your account.

It’s worth having more than one card reader, to cover this scenario.

1 Like

HSBC and Barclays allow you to use the app as a verification device instead of the card reader, I assume others will follow.

Fortunately other than the branding the devices (except for HSBC) are all the same. If you have more than one account say Barclays and RBS then you’ll have 2 readers

1 Like

great minds eh Neil?

1 Like

I suppose you could say there was a way to do it. It just took an unacceptable amount of time.

You can manage without it, I think. I’m not 100% sure, but I believe there is an alternative via the website.

Also, you can order more so that you have more than one.

2 Likes

They only allowed it due to “exceptional circumstances”. Which to me means they can do it, but don’t want to.
I had to explain I’m immunocompromised and can’t go into a branch right now, and then wait an hour while they figured out what to do.

2 Likes

Yes, you can log in to the website without it (as long as you have a registered mobile number and can receive a text from Nationwide).

However, if you log in this way than some things are restricted. I’m not sure what tasks exactly, but setting up a new payee is probably one.

Also, to be pedantic, HSBC and First Direct don’t use card readers, per se, but code generators. They are basically the same but registered to a single account holder and don’t use the person’s debit card.

Barclays use a card reader for their physical device, but also a software version of it that is more like HSBC’s.

This is just straight-up awful service!

Can I moan about Barclaycard?

I have my account set up on my iPhone with Face ID, I can’t find/remember the details to get into my account online but you can only “securely message” them via their web version, not the app.

PARITY IS IMPORTANT!

2 Likes

Can you login to the Barclays (not Barclaycard) app to manage your credit card and use Live Chat there?

It’s not possible to set up a new payee online without a card reader apparently. Or you’d think they would have suggested that to me during the hour I was on the phone…

1 Like

And if all you have is the app, you can use the card details to authorise new payments, no need for another app/a card reader

2 Likes

That just makes me dread the time when I’ll need to cancel my card (I won’t keep it if a better 0% fx offer comes along or this offer ends)

I don’t know any of the security answers to any service I use…

2 Likes

I don’t have the Barclays app, but I’m not sure if that would work.

I managed to search through my notes app and find my incredibly insecure app pin and got in that way.

It was a nightmare when I set up my new phone after 3 years of FaceID and not remembering any of them!

2 Likes

I meant you can order another Nationwide reader. You aren’t limited to one. I used to keep one in work, and one at home.

1 Like

Yes, I know.

I was just trying to make the point to others that you couldn’t use any HSBC readers as backups.

Personally, my favourite card readers are the Barclays PINSentry and Lloyds Bank Business ones (they are larger than the normal Nationwide/NatWest/RBS style ones) as the buttons are much easier to press correctly and they have a slightly larger screen.

I’m not old by any means, but I find the smaller ones fiddly in comparison.

1 Like

You’ve raised a good point here. Accessibility and card readers.
I’m partially sighted and struggle with my hands, what other options would I have with Nationwide apart from a card reader which I may be unable to use?

1 Like

I detest the screen on the Nationwide reader so much that I changed to logging in by SMS for a while. That is until I logged in at 1100 one day and the SMS arrived around five hours later. :joy:

1 Like

I think there are accessible card readers?

Edit: yes

2 Likes

I think some accessible card readers even have a headphone port and can “speak” the code to you as well as display it.

You would probably have to make a big fuss to order one though!