I Am Now Called Monzo Everywhere

It gets funny when it happens in Asia too. I have a friend who writes ā€œSee IDā€ on the back of his bank cards. In Taiwan, where they check the signature panel, he was made to sign those exact words everywhere he used it.

I always tell Starbucks my name is something thatā€™s not my name all the time.
Last time I was Hiroyuki
Iā€™ll try monzo next time I go, which is not often due to the price and how few there are in the UK.

If weā€™re going to be pedantic, Iā€™d suggest itā€™s not, as you state, ā€œI am now called Monzo, Everywhereā€, but ā€œI am now called Monzo, everywhere.ā€

Iā€™m sure someone can find fault with my correction, though.

1 Like

Iā€™d go with ā€œI am now called Monzo everywhere.ā€

ā€œI am now called Monzo, Everywhereā€ reads like you are talking to someone called Everywhere, and youā€™re telling them you are now called Monzo.

ā€œI am now called Monzo Everywhereā€ reads like your first name is Monzo, and your second name is Everywhere.

3 Likes

I tried to use my monzo card at a bogeda last week and they asked for my ID. they ended up refusing my card b/c my legal name was not monzo :sweat_smile:

(and yes iā€™m aware theyā€™re not supposed to ask for ID on card purchases)

1 Like

Itā€™s against mastercard rules, you can report them for that if you wish.

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/report-problem-shopping.html

2 Likes

Luckily us from the UK doesnā€™t have that issue :joy::joy:

1 Like

Iā€™m kind of surprised by this. In the UK does it mean weā€™re sharing our name when we use any debit card or is it just a US thing? Very interesting.

Technically, it could, and I know that on a Pizza Express receipt it has a load of extra information, including the name field. I donā€™t think itā€™s as commonly used in the UK though, and I know that the field contains generic text when used with contactless.

Iā€™ve only ever seen my actual name once, when I used a very old Triton ATM in an amusement arcade in Morecambeā€¦ it had my name in the corner. Was pretty creepy (and it didnā€™t support my Monzo card, despite it being read).

1 Like

Most likely it was still using magstripe, had a old Triton ATM in a shop near me they recently disappeared after it stopped being free. (I refused to use it along with alot of people after this)
It never used to take my monzo card without turning mag stripe on. (It also did that name thing)

2 Likes

So in the US restaurants (some?) will call orders by people names instead of using numbers, which is interesting because if Iā€™m not mistaken people in the US order their stuff based on numbers while here in Portugal itā€™s the opposite, one orders a ā€œbig Macā€, not a number 5 or whatever number it is and the order is given a number (it would probably be considered a violation of privacy to shout and display peopleā€™s names to everyone else there).

Places like McDonald have actually removed the numbers from menu items, I suppose because no one used them and when you had a tourist doing so, the cashier would have to look to see what they were talking about :wink:

iā€™ve found that in the US maybe 2/3rds of the time the name on the card will show up on the bottom of a receipt. (iā€™ve only really started paying attention to this once people started calling me monzo haha)

2 Likes

another interesting thing that happened recently was that i won a free coffee from dunkin - but they still for my card anyways! i haded it over assuming it was for paying sales tax, but turns out they wanted to copy my name from the card instead of asking me for it, and they still couldnā€™t get the name right :no_mouth:

1 Like

:joy: Whatā€™s wrong with asking peopleā€¦? Also, why would there be sales tax on something free :thinking:

Prize winnings are (sometimes? often? always?) taxed in America, I understand. I first found out about that when Oprah gave away a loaf of cars (you get a car! and you get a car! everybody gets a car!) and some people complained that they couldnā€™t accept the car because they couldnā€™t afford the gift tax on it.

1 Like

Iā€™m more confused why Monzo left the name field blank on magstripes, even if the cards are prepaid.

It should be expected that terminals, especially legacy ones, would expect that data to exist and that terminals might crash if that data doesnā€™t exist. After all, the track 1 specification expects a name of 2-26 chars.

2 Likes

I have absolutely no idea how the US team managed to get that through either.

3 Likes

Does anyone here with a Mag stripe reader have a Bank of America temp card? The one they give you in branch? Iā€™d be curious what the name field shows.

Same for green dot cards.

Yeah, Iā€™m aware of that (which is bloody ridiculous and borderline unfair in my opinion - I imagine itā€™s also why US game shows have much higher prize amounts, in addition to the simple reason that they have higher budgets due to more people), but surely if you win something as simple as a coffee then itā€™s just a basic zero-feeā€¦ Iā€™ve never heard of an in-store freebie being charged sales tax.

3 Likes

You report these items when you file your taxes in April.

All US citizens must self-assess annually regardless of where they live.