Home Automation/Networking

Updated image as changes made which are:

IMG_0837

New VM Superhub 3
New VM TiVo v6
Another Alexa
Harmony Hub now installed
Cisco Phone (still not configured from this thread :joy_cat:)
Dell Server on SBS (No idea why or what to do with it just there.)

Any using a Nest Cam?

I just picked up the Hue starter kit for £50 with two white bulbs and the bridge. Got them both in the bedroom (overhead light and bedside lamp). Very pleased so far, I have Google Home in the bedroom to control them. I’ll probably slowly replace all the lights in my apartment with them.

In what sense? I’ve been playing around with IFTTT Hue recipes all day, but most aren’t things I’d use or need regularly.

I used to have Nest connected to my old Jawbone UP which would cool the apartment when it detected sleep and heat it upon waking up. I have a Fitbit Charge 2 now, and there’s a similar IFTTT recipe but I don’t think the Fitbit syncs regularly enough to make it work :pensive:

1 Like

Might want to be careful with that…

Hardcoded symmetric keys… what where they thinking?

1 Like

IFTT for Hue is crap, better off using the Hue app itself or looking at Hue Labs

1 Like

Agreed. I tried IFTTT. Some evenings we’d go out and lights were off. When we returned they’d be on maximum brightness.

Killed the IFTTT integrations and have not had an issue since.

1 Like

Tado works on geo location, so when it switches from away mode to home mode it’ll switch them on! Also have them for going away as well!

Quite a clever idea using a fitness tracker for that! Your right, don’t think the Fitbit syncs all that often, probably to preserve battery life.

1 Like

I use the Yeelights as well

I have this set with my Hue lights too, when I come a few lights turn on (only after sunset),

Don’t bother with leave as I just say goodbye to Alexa and everything shuts off.

You could ditch the PC completely as the synology NAS can run a plex server directly! Should clear some good space there.

PC is rarely on, I just have it there to RDP and mess about on, also don’t use Plex as Synology does the same thing with Video Station :slight_smile:

I’m sure your electric bill is not thanking you if you have it on!

My bill is always the same no matter what I use… tbh it’s never on unless I wanna use it but for what I dunno yet.

Have any of you got the gen2 light wave stuff yet?

I am hoping to buy a few items next month.

Found this if anyone is interested, I might give it a whirl later

Or you could just spent £30 on an actual Google Home Mini? :joy:

lol where is the fun in that though?

1 Like

This might be up your street (and many others!)
https://alexaskillslondonbeginner.splashthat.com/
Chance to go the Amazon London HQ and an opportunity to log it as skills day for work (what I’m doing!) :wink:

Looking very neat and tidy. Are the cables still tidy behind the unit?
Now that I’ve added a Nintendo Switch, SNES Classic Mini and the new Apple TV I seem to have an out of control spaghetti junction wiring situation…