Highlight pending vs debited transactions

At the moment any transactions made by the card appear in the transaction list. Regardless if the transaction has actually debited the card or is just pending.

I think it would be great if there was a visual aid to identify which of the transactions are pending and not yet debited. And also if you could filter or search for pending only.

While this is not so much of an issue on a prepaid card with limited transactions. I think on a primary bank account some pending items could be lost in the mix.

I am not sure about others but there have been times when I have been charged for something twice in error and one of the items has remained as pending for longer than the 10 days.

Thanks for reading.

4 Likes

Ya I agree that a visual aid (just a greyed out entry would suffice imo) would be great. But in the meantime, you are able to check if a transaction is pending by selecting the transaction and scrolling all the way down.

But ya, it would be a nice thing to have a visual cue in the transaction list. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha I didnā€™t know about the text right at the bottom. I also thought I checked the extra detail before I posted the suggestion. Passed it off as standard ā€˜disclaimerā€™ type text and didnā€™t read it.:blush:

That small text is our first step to clarify the pending vs debited issues. As you very well said, sometimes duplicates appear (particularly when you pay tips on USA restaurants) and itā€™s really confusing :frowning:

However, the cool thing will be the moment we are a bank and we have a bit more of control of what happens behind the scenes when you use your card. At that point I hope weā€™ll be able to completely abstract our users from that nuance (or at least minimise it by doing clever things like identifying that you had two very similar transactions one after another, etc.).

If you think about it, except in particular cases like holds for hotel rooms (where they will charge you a penalty if you trash a room rockstar-style :sunglasses:) these concepts are totally useless, just a technical limitation.

So thatā€™s why so far weā€™re not giving visual clues about it on the feed (except for foreign payments), because we are trying to avoid our users to even need to think in those terms.

In any case, this is a tricky (and open) debate, in fact some of the Mondo team members are still to be convinced by my impeccable reasoning :innocent:

1 Like

I like Frankā€™s idea (and liked it!). I mentioned my preference to see pending/rejected transactions on another topic.

Perhaps there is a way to optionally expose these items, so that the default UI is cluttered up, but they are accessible to users when they want to know. Perhaps an extended/firm press on a day or month date could expand the listing?

First post here, so please forgive me if I bugger anything up :pensive:

To be able to clearly identify settled versus pending transactions would be very useful to me too. I track expenditure via YNAB and the combination of Mondo and YNAB works well, but I mark a debit card transaction as cleared once itā€™s been settled.

To avoid cluttering up the transaction feed, as a design suggestion I would subtly change the colour of the transaction value: maybe a grey (similar to the transaction comment) for a pending transaction, while turning black once settled?

There are instances when transactions will never materialise. Iā€™ve just linked my Mondo card to my iTunes account and theyā€™ve authorised Ā£1.58 as part of their active card check processing. The authorisation will expire eventually because iTunes will never settle against it. But currently my YNAB balance is out of kilter with my Mondo card balance.

1 Like

Hey @j800rob thanks for that suggestion :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s exactly what we do with foreign currency payments, the thing is that Iā€™d try to avoid exposing that on the feed view, otherwise the first few transactions would always be grey/pending. It seems a bit too much to highlight the status of a tx when in 99% of cases the customer doesnā€™t need to care about it at all.

Itā€™s a tricky one anyway, I do appreciate that itā€™s one of those things where a 1% of signal and 99% noise may be better than 0% signal and 0% noise. We need to keep working on it :thinking:

How easy is YNAB with uk accounts? Iā€™m having a look but unfortunately canā€™t do anything right now as you need to set things up first from a desktop computer.

It certainly is no deal-breaker - because as you say: most people will not care. That said, given you use grey on unsettled foreign transactions too (just read that thread), it seems to me that keeping things consistent in design throughout the app would make sense. Granted most new transactions would be grey (i.e. unsettled - whether originating in the UK or abroad), and once a user understood that it would also make sense to them the value of the transaction could subtly change (thinking foreign value ones here) too.

YNAB works perfectly well with UK accounts - Iā€™ve been using it for about 3 years now. Just be aware that (1) thereā€™s no automatic link between any UK banks and YNAB so transactions require entering manually, and (2) it does not support multiple currencies within the same budget file.

Iā€™ve only had my Mondo card a week, but already itā€™s proved itā€™s worth in helping me ensure I donā€™t accidentally miss entering transactions in to YNAB. The YNAB mobile app is quite good, but the Mondo app records your transactions for you: you just key them into YNAB desktop when you get around to it (each evening?).

Some people will find the inability to have multi-currency accounts within the same YNAB budget a right royal pain in the butt. The good folk over at YNAB have known about this for eons and have decided to ignore the issue - probably because currency fluctuations make budgeting to zero very difficult as the sands (foreign exchange rates) are constantly shifting beneath your feet.

Came to the forum to start just this topic.

Iā€™ve just had issues with pending payments from Amazon where they tried to take multiple duplicate pending payments. Subsequent ones failed as Iā€™d only put enough on the card for the first payment. It took multiple calls to Amazon and a conversation with you guys (Mondo) to figure out what had happened.

Raises a few issues:

A. Amazon thought I didnā€™t have enough to pay the items, even though I did, which held up my order so possibly thereā€™s something about how Mondo handles these authorisations which is an issue for Amazon?

B. To me it appeared that Amazon were attempting to take payment multiple times, if each transaction had just said ā€œpendingā€ or something similar Iā€™dā€™ve been able to understand what was going on and wouldnā€™tā€™ve worried as much about where my money was going.

C. Seeing pending payments being authorised / released as essentially payments / deposits makes it harder to understand whatā€™s going on with my money.

Hi

With Amazon, when you initially place an order with a card, Amazon takes a small amount (Ā£1.00) to check the card is valid. This is a common practice; Apple takes Ā£1.58 to confirm the card exists and is active. This is usually refunded within 10 days, but if you contact the in-app support team and ask them to refund it, they would do so immediately.

If you only had just enough funds for the order, then once Amazon takes the Ā£1 from your card, you are left with not enough for the order, and it might get cancelled.

PS. This charge is only taken when you initially set up the card with Amazon, all subsequent orders would not have this, in my experience. So if this isnā€™t the first transaction, then you may have a different problem. :slight_smile:

Hi,

They took the Ā£1 to check the card, then Ā£42 and Ā£13 for the two items in the order as separate authorisation requests. Then they tried to authorise Ā£42 again (which failed), then Ā£55 (which also failed), which left the order as ā€œPayment Failedā€ status on their site.

Looking back through my transaction history with Amazon thereā€™s a couple of times where from the point of view of the app it looks like theyā€™ve taken payment a couple of times (so really just requested authorisations?) but refunded it once (released authorisation?), Iā€™ve just never noticed before as I always had sufficient funds to cover the payment twice.

Hi,

Did your order contain multiple products? If so, that might explain Amazon charging you Ā£42 and Ā£13. Amazon charges your card when the item is dispatched, to prevent charging you in case they are unable to deliver. But I donā€™t understand why they would charge you multiple times :thinking:

Yep there was two items in the order that the two charges match. The multiple authorisations I have no idea about, possibly itā€™s an issue on their end. Most people will never notice it because their banks donā€™t give them instant updates on whatā€™s going on in their accounts.

1 Like

Amazon will split an order into separate orders for a number of reasons as @hatimbt mentions. Even if theyā€™ve been ordered for delivery on the same day, if the orders are from Marketplace sellers, Amazon directly, or a mixture of the two the orders seem to get split. Similarly, I think if the items are being shipped from different warehouses they tend to be split. Below is an order for a few items I made on Saturday which arrived on Sunday:

Personally I still think there is mileage in being able to clearly identify pending transactions from the settled/finalised ones within the feed view, but as @hugo suggests, itā€™s kinda difficult to get the balance right:

I was thinking about this again thanks to another post recently. If I needed to provide a bank statement say for a mortgage application I would not want to provide one that had transactions not debited.

Could tabs (iOS segmented control) at the top of the transaction list be implemented for:

All - anything debiting or due to debit (including SODDā€™s when implemented)
Debited - only true debited transactions
Pending - only pending transactions (including SODDā€™s when implemented)

The. If you were to download/print/request a statement it could be in either of these states.

1 Like

Would it be possible to indicate in the transaction feed whether itā€™s cleared or not? I know you can dig down into the transaction to see but I donā€™t really want to keep doing that.

I reconcile my accounts to YNAB and it gets confusing when a foreign exchange transaction change when posted.

If you do add a cleared flag, some how seeing the cleared balance would also be good.

Is this something thatā€™s being considered at all? Personally Iā€™d just need a tiny indicator making it cleared for it to work for my external register.