Headphone Splitter for iPhone 7 and beyond

So I have finally caved and ordered an iPhone X. Problem now is that my partner and I both have phones without headphone jacks and we are used to using a splitter to listen to music through one phone (and also when watching films on my laptop).

Does anyone know of the best tool to use to still be able to do this? I am struggling to find something I can use. The only splitters I can find seem to be for being able to charge and listen to music, not for two people to listen to music.

Not something I’ve ever seen, could you not use the lightning to 3.5mm adapter and then plug a 3.5mm splitter in to that and then headphones to that? Or are they lightning headphones you’re using? Otherwise Bluetooth headphones might be your solution

3 Likes

That’s the answer.

I don’t think Bluetooth will work. You can only pair one device at a time.

2 Likes

Thanks both! Will one of these come with my phone? It is arriving on Monday. I am off on holiday on Tuesday so want to make sure I have what I need before then!

Apple did initially ship the adapter with iPhone when they dropped the 3.5mm port but they seemed to have stopped shipping it with the XS and XR

Hmmm. I’m not surprised looking at the reviews, no matter where I look they seem to be rubbish. I guess bluetooth is the way to go, but I don’t think I can use wireless headphones on the plane…

Most airlines are fine with it these days especially the ones with WiFi/Cellular on board. I always use my Bluetooth on flights these days as it’s the only headphones I have

Just had a look and Tui don’t currently allow it. Oh well!

My iPhone X came with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter, and as far as I know they still supply them.

If push comes to shove, there’ll likely be a shop at the airport willing to sell you one (if you can arrange a mortgage beforehand!).

1 Like

Nope, all models that originally had the lightning to 3.5mm jack converter and are new production models since the new iPhones were launched don’t include the converter in the box. Dick move from Apple seeing as the only way people knew was that it got dropped from the ‘included’ on the back of the box! Wasn’t in any of the press releases from them

1 Like

They have zero idea. I wouldn’t worry and just use it.

3 Likes

Agree with the above post.

I’m fairly sure they won’t notice or care. Most airlines are only concerned during take off and landing.

Heck one of my mates is a pilot and they don’t always put their phones on airplane mode.

4 Likes

+1 Not to mention it’s been proven that it has no interference in avionic equipment anyway. I’ve used my AirPods on almost every flight I’ve been on in the last few years and the attendants haven’t batted an eyelid.

4 Likes

Just been looking at some headphone reviews and noticed that the Marshall Bluetooth headphones have a 3.5mm jack to EITHER run your headphones normally, OR share music to a secondary set of headphones.