Google Play Unable to Verify Bank

Yes and google pay works fine, its just purchasing anything through the play store

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had the same issue this week. I tried to subscribe through the Discovery+ app and got the same ā€œunable to verifyā€ message when using my Monzo cards set up on Google Pay (my main card and a virtual card, both of which Iā€™ve used many times in the past). It went through using a HSBC card.

1 Like

Ive had this happen. It was because my postcode didnt match in case.

So change the casing on the postcode and see if it works.

Iā€™ve just had payment to a Cleverbridge retailer fail for my Monzo Business card 4 times now with the * decline_reason:ā€œSCA_NOT_AUTHENTICATED_CARD_NOT_PRESENTā€ according to the developers.monzo.com API. Which is ā€œfunā€ as I did approve it and it is an internet transaction (so card not present).

Same for me, Google Pay (via Google Wallet now) and online payments using Google Pay both work fine. Itā€™s just purchases through Google Play which are repeatedly failing.

I donā€™t have a ā€œbackup bankā€ to use. Hopefully they get this sorted soon between them/whoever needs to do something, really quite naff not to be able to use my card at one of the largest retailers.

Interestingly, Google Play subscriptions I have set up to a virtual card seem to be working fine. But if I try an in-app purchase, thatā€™s when it fails.

Is there a fix for this yet, tried a few months ago and I didnā€™t work and today itā€™s still not working. Iā€™m receiving the same error message as others in this thread on Google play. Followed all the steps suggested too and still no change.

2 Likes

I found the easiest way to get round the problem with Google play was to add PayPal as a payment method and when doing this select my Monzo card as the payment method for PayPal.

Have been getting this for a few months all other bank cards bkth visa and master card work just Monzo. Iā€™m a premium customer and Monzo tell me to speak to Google who tell me to speak to Monzo. Or I get asked for a screenshot despite offering the error code even though their own security policy wonā€™t allow a screenshot

1 Like

You can allow screenshots on Android by clicking your icon in the top left of the home screen > settings icon in the top right > privacy and security and then deselecting hide monzo from recent apps, Monzo staff should have known to tell you this.

That being said itā€™s hard to know whatā€™s going on here, and it would be nice to get some info from Monzo if thereā€™s an actual issue with monzo and Google or if it seems to be bad UI and customers getting confused, but thereā€™s a fair few with issues.

Itā€™s been going on for too long and too consistently to be just bad UI.

Same happens with Cleverbridge btw (although thatā€™s obviously got a much smaller number of users).

1 Like

Fairly confident itā€™s not user error in this case - Iā€™ve made hundreds of in-app purchases in the past, primarily with Monzo, using Google Play. Nothing about the workflow has changed, itā€™s exactly the same as before, itā€™s just that it returns an error now. And the workflow is still the same when using other payment methods (PayPal for example, which Iā€™m now forced to do).

1 Like

Update - issue seems to have been resolved.

Switched the payment method back to my monzo card today and it went through!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. Will give it a go on my next purchase.