Going back to free golden tickets

I’m not sure we have been given an actual figure, most was speculation.

There’s not a waiting list now though is there, so what is the point of a golden ticket at all?

Maybe throw in a limited edition Monzo air guitar to sweeten the deal?

2 Likes

The problem I am beginning to have is that we are asked:

Which is fine, I’m happy for the forum to be used for feedback and ideas (obviously) but you’re stopping something that the customer base was using and enjoying - and are then asking what they want instead, but in the mean time not giving them anything.

IIRC, it went from £5 each to £5 for the new joiner only last month? Now nothing. I get that growth is good, but its sad that another thing is getting removed that was being used.

This and plus, I’ve always been an advocate of Monzo because when things went wrong in the early days, the response was fast and honest.

Now they just seem to act like every other big bank and try and pull the wool over our eyes.

2 Likes

Still is a referral I suppose - I quite like seeing how many people I’ve helped sign up to a Monzo account - even before they offered money for sign ups till now.

3 Likes

As there’s no longer a wait-list to join Monzo, I’d say just remove Golden Tickets entirely, if the referral bonus is going. They don’t serve a purpose any more :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

They should just call it a referral then. Golden ticket makes it sound like you’re getting something special that you couldn’t get otherwise

4 Likes

I suppose, but at least when they do promotional periods it ties in nicely - plus golden ticket sounds newer compared to “referral” which I can see as being more traditional banking language (if that’s what they show in app)

1 Like

Because it doesn’t make for a nice announcement. :slight_smile:

That said, why do people want an incentive to refer people? If you enjoy the product, you should refer it based on that instead of seeing what is in it for yourself first.

2 Likes

I guess it’s all just clever marketing. If they can get people to pay £5/month for a supporter’s bundle then who am I to argue with their techniques!!

I’m just a bit disappointed with this, and the Monzo Plus situation, they seem to have gone backwards a bit over the past week.

2 Likes

I don’t believe there is a need for incentive right now and clearly nor does Monzo which is fine.

The point is the phrase “golden ticket” is null and void as it doesn’t provide you with any benefit now, it’s simply a referral link. A golden ticket implies there is some kind of reward for using it.

Following on from that… I would love to know the percentage of accounts which are considered Full Monzo of people who were referred based on a cash bonus vs those who organically joined. I know it is very unlikely we would ever be told though.

1 Like

Oh I don’t dispute that at all :slight_smile:

I assume they’re using the Golden Tickets mechanism as it has the tracking and gamification already built in.

Agree they’re not really golden anymore.

2 Likes

Totally agree. But it’s a little annoying when you were one of the early adopters of Monzo, refer everyone you can for love of the product, then they introduce the bonuses…

Agreed - I assume there is something internally. Does seem a little misleading/confusing somewhat though from a consumer point of view.

I honestly don’t mind there not being a “bonus” - If Monzo don’t see the need then fine.

But this is how I see conversations playing out:

Me to my Non-Monzo Friend: “oh here I’ve got a Golden Ticket”

NMF: “what’s it do”

Me: “gets you a Monzo account”

NMF: “can’t I just get one anyway?”

Me: “yeah… but its a Golden Ticket…”

12 Likes

A loyalty card, building in Points which you can then redeem at partner stores or money off stuff. A referral would be part of that system. Prizes like shares or 0.1% extra on your savings pot perhaps

1 Like

This!

It’s adding more steps into the user signup process which is of no benefit to any party :no_entry: Personally I can’t see why someone would go out of their way to do this without any incentive.

3 Likes

I think something to look at would be the correlation of how many golden tickets compared to whether active on the forum. Because then my logic would be to look exclusive emoticons(of the hot chip variety) and exclusive flare.
So bronze ticket
Silver ticket
Gold ticket.
Until the correlation between golden tickets and forum members is known. I can’t really suggest anything more useful