Get your Monzo balance on your Wear OS (Android Wear) watchface ⌚️

Just found this on our subreddit, from user Azelphur, and thought it was awesome and worth re-posting over here.

If anyone tries this, be sure to post a photo of your watchface! When I have a bit more time I may try this myself.

Figured I’d share this in case anyone else wants it. I have my bank balance sitting on my Watch Face, and it updates in near-real time every time a transaction occurs. It’s push, not polling.

To do the same thing, first you’ll need a Monzo access token. See this page on how to get one. Note that the URL has changed since that document was written, so replace auth.getmondo.co.uk with auth.monzo.com. You’ll also need your account ID. I used the Monz command line client to get it.

Next set up WatchMaker, and add a text element to your watch face with text of {tbalance}

Now hop into Tasker, and add a new Profile, call it whatever you want.

Click event

Select Event “Notification” Make sure to grant Tasker access to notifications when it asks.

Set Owner Application to Monzo, leave everything else default and press the back button at the top left.

Click New Task

Click the plus, and add a Javascriptlet.

Enter this code:

var xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
xmlHttp.onreadystatechange = function() {
    if (this.readyState == 4 && this.status == 200) {
        json = JSON.parse(xmlHttp.responseText);
        var balance = json["balance"]/100;
        tk.setLocal('%balance', balance);
        tk.exit();
    }
};
xmlHttp.open("GET", "https://api.monzo.com/balance?account_id=YOURACCOUNTHERE", false);
xmlHttp.setRequestHeader("Authorization", "Bearer YOURTOKENHERE");
xmlHttp.send(null);

inb4 “BUT AZELPHUR TASKER CAN DO HTTP GET” - Tasker can’t do custom HTTP headers

Untick “Auto Exit”

Press back to exit out of the Javascriptlet.

Click the plus again, this time add a WM Send Variable

Set the configuration to %balance

Back out and you’re done, You can click the play button at the bottom left to run the task to get the initial balance pushed to your watch, after that, tasker should update the balance on your watch every time you get a monzo notification.

https://www.reddit.com/r/monzo/comments/b06wfr/balance_on_wearos_watch_face_using_tasker_and/

1 Like

Wish we could have the function on Apple watch

1 Like

This is from the OP on the Reddit post :grinning:

can this not be made as an app by someone …not saying im lazy but seems difficult

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.